Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cruise control crazy
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cruise control crazy
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
Our cruise control keeps falling out. Sometimes it works, then it doesn't any ideas?

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Is it original from Barth. I think they used Rostra. It is vacuum operated with PPM picked up from either the transmission or magnetic pickup.

So first guess is your vacuum generator which is operated from air. The vacuum generator was from Ford, but no longer available. Not certain if it was Barth or Spartan installed.

Sorry, just no second guess.

I just replaced my cruise control. It is shown under the update section.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Vac operated were all limited lifetime of about 4 years and for diesels the addition of a vac generator complicated matters. Somewhere around 2000-2005 technology went digital and life expectancy as well as control improved. I think Gary has the right idea and if memory serves it is digital and not dependent on vac.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have a Cruise King on the Monarch. No vacuum. Simple hookup. When I got the coach it didn't work. One call to the service tech and I was good to go. Good support. Works very well.

I put a Dakota Digital cruise on the Regal. No vacuum. Also simple installation. Works well, way better than OEM ever did.

PS Just a thought. Did you recently install LED taillights? Some cruise, including those above, require a path to ground through the brake lights to function. LEDs require the use of a resistive load in the circuit.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
No new bulbs installed.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another thought. Check to make sure you brake lights are not activating. The brake lite switch shuts down the control.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thinking about putting the cruiseKing cruise control in my 1992 breakaway tried fixing the OEM I'm done fooling with it old technology could anyone tell me if the Barths has the diesel sensor for this crusie unit to be able to work and how many of you have installed it can't take another trip without cruise thanks Evan

Posts: 132 | Location: Ruskin flordia | Member Since: 08-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
My Cruise King gets a signal from the Allison trans. Not sure if your trans has signal output. It can also be operated from some alternators too.

Call the Cruise King guy. Very helpful, knows his stuff.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe you have the 542 allison and you will need a driveshaft pickup. The MTs have no electronics. The WTs and later do.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I put it on the Cat/Allison Regency by just following the instructions and it has been flawless. Had it five years now.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks I talked to tech to sounds like thats what i'll be using.

Posts: 132 | Location: Ruskin flordia | Member Since: 08-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post