Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Removal of rear tires to do brakes
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Removal of rear tires to do brakes
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The 19.5 and 22.5" wheels are typically in the 450 lb-ft range

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
You guys have it easy. Big Grin I have to be between 450-500 ft lbs on my bus. Good thing i have a torque multiplier, set my torque wrench for 50 lbs and i am good. Smiler

Ah, C'mon......500 ft lbs is a 165 lb man standing on a three-foot pipe slipped over the lug wrench. Gravity does all the work.

To loosen, just boogie a little.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Bill, years ago i was doing that and had either the cheater bar slip off, or my feet slip off, and ended up getting whacked in the shins. Frowner Just a couple of days ago i was talking to a guy that got hit in the mouth one time. Neither one of us have ever done it that way again....it may work but it ain't worth it. Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
Bill, years ago i was doing that and had either the cheater bar slip off, or my feet slip off, and ended up getting whacked in the shins. Frowner Just a couple of days ago i was talking to a guy that got hit in the mouth one time. Neither one of us have ever done it that way again....it may work but it ain't worth it. Big Grin

Wow! Lots of bad luck there. On big radial recips, we had prop nuts that took humungous torque. We had a thing called a Sweeney Wrench that took a chain fall and/or a lot of muscle to position it. Once set up, it was easy, as it was a 10X torque multiplier. Instead, we used the long bar method with great success and little effort. All we needed was a scale and a tape measure. Ours was not rinky-dink, and we had no incidents. The FAA guy was OK with it, but if OSHA had been existence then, they probably would have gone catatonic.

Actually, OSHA never came around without prior notice, and seemed to work bankers' hours, so they never saw all the heavy work at night.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I use a 3 foot breaker bar, I am about 200 lbs so I sit at the end, which wouldn't be exactly 3 feet out, with the breaker bar horizontal and that will give me the 450-600 lb/ft torque required. I use a jack stand for a pivot point for the extension out of the wheel (rears) and just the socket on the front, never had a slip.

Even with that bar, I couldn't get Rusty's rears loose at the DC GTG.

When I first got the Barth two rear studs were completely stripped (I drove it that way not knowing from LV to home) replaced with longer wheel studs, didn't have enough thread engagement with aluminum wheels, Aluminum wheels are much thicker and take longer studs then steel wheels.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
I just bought a torque multiplier/lugnut remover Item #93645 at Harbor Freight Tools for $25.99. It also has a lifetime warranty-very useful at Harbor Freight. It works easily on the lug nuts on the Regal.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty nice. I already have it on my list for the next trip to Sarasota.
http://www.harborfreight.com/c...mber=93645&Submit=Go

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Chevalier:
I just bought a torque multiplier/lugnut remover Item #93645 at Harbor Freight Tools for $25.99. It works easily on the lug nuts on the Regal.

What size lug nuts does your Regal have?

I took a quick look at one, and it looked like it would need some parts made to work on my 1-inch lug nuts buried inside the duals.

I find that if I am the only one to torque lug nuts, they are never hard to remove. I keep a wire toothbrush taped to my lug wrench so it is always handy to clean the threads, whether they appear to need it or not.

1st month member
posted Hide Post
I have 1" lugs. This torque multiplier adjustable lever does not fit over the 1" lug, but you can rest it beside the lug to gain leverage. Does anyone know what the torque rating is for these lug nuts?

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Chevalier:
I have 1" lugs. This torque multiplier adjustable lever does not fit over the 1" lug, but you can rest it beside the lug to gain leverage. Does anyone know what the torque rating is for these lug nuts?

My GM manual says 130-180 lbs ft.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
If you have 22.5 or 24.5 the torque is based upon type of wheel. Aluminum is about 425 and steel up to 600 but 500 is fine.

19.5 like our breakaway is about 200

If you have an inner nut depends of type of mount. Stud mount has an inner and outer. Hub mount has on an outer.

P30 is a stud mount.

Car is about 90

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post