Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Window Gasket Joints - Too Big?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Window Gasket Joints - Too Big?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
I'm currently going over the entire unit inch by inch, cleaning & resealing all joints w/ polysulfide caulking......

In the past, I've noticed that the rubber gasketing on all of the windows have a gap where the ends butt up, ranging from about 1/8" inch for the small kitchen port hole to 3/4" inch or more on the larger windows. The butt joints are always located on the bottom rail, so I thought it might have been a drainage/venilation thing, but since they also have the weep holes & covers installed, I'm beginning to wonder if this gap is the result of shrinkage after 28 years, and the gaps may be a source of moisture intrusion, and should be plugged shut with polysulfide......(I think the windows are Hehr - at least they look like them...)

Thoughts?

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
Lee, your window gaskets have probably shrunk. Mine appeared to be the originals from '73. Some of mine had definitely shrunk and some were getting hard and brittle. I replaced them all and left no gaps where the two ends meet. It wasn't too bad a task and besides making them water/wind tight it really made an improvement in the overall appearance.

Bill & Diane
1973 25'

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Bill and Diane:

We have the same Barth and as you can guess the molding on my windows also being 1973 needs a visit.

Where did you get your molding? Do you have part numbers for the rubber?

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill Stevson
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I got it here: http://all-rite.com/. I have been trying to save all my receipts but couldn't find the one for the glazing bead. I think you need the 3/16" Glazing Bead 400' roll. It took almost the full roll to do all of the windows excluding the front windshields.

Bill & Diane
1973 25'

Posts: 113 | Location: Macks Creek, MO | Member Since: 11-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Bill & Diane:

Thank you, I see the company is up by Montery California. Montery is nice drive and there is good camping up that way, I'll have to give them a visit.

Thank you very much:

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post