Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    gas fuel tank removal for repair
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

gas fuel tank removal for repair
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
When I drop my tank, I am going to run hard connected steel lines from the top of the tank off to one side or to the front where they will be accessible.

And remount the electric pump where it can be accessed more easily.

As Barth shoulda done. Frowner

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Barths are indeed well-built, but that doesn't mean the factory didn't go for cheap and easy when it would do the job. As all modern products, they were engineered for economical production, not easy maintenance. They weren't designed in anticipation of a fanatic bunch of enthusiasts restoring them 30 years down the road. I found more than one instance of production short-cuts and dimensional errors as I refurbished mine.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"of production short-cuts and dimensional errors as I refurbished mine."

Yeah. In ALL production, the guy with the wrench will often "improve" the engineer's design, often saving (mucho) $, so it is ignored by the production super...or officially changed to the Wrench's new plan.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunner:
"of production short-cuts and dimensional errors as I refurbished mine."

Yeah. In ALL production, the guy with the wrench will often "improve" the engineer's design, often saving (mucho) $, so it is ignored by the production super...or officially changed to the Wrench's new plan.

Yes. I lost track of how many of my formal written and documented suggestions were ignored, and then later implemented.

My employer had a program whereby they solicited suggestions and rewarded them with a formula based on how much money was saved over the predicted life of the airplane. But, they didn't like to pay, so they paid on only some, with great fanfare and photo ops, and used the rest a little later with no attribution or reward.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Years ago i knew an old mechanic that was working on a taillight problem on a car.....had a wire arc to the frame. Unfortunately the gas tank had a small leak that nobody knew about. It blew up in his face, severe burns to all of his upper body, only reason he survived is somebody that was at his shop pulled him out from under the car and smothered the flames and the fire dept was only a block away. Never worked again and died a couple of years later.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Someone in this file once mentioned that a generator is fed with a separate fuel line from the gas tank, so that if a generator drinks the fuel until its fuel tube sucks air, that the engine of the rig will still be able to get fuel to drive someplace.

On my 1986 P30 chassis, that is not true.

Like they say, your mileage may vary. On mine, the rubber hose in the picture is connected to a T fitting. One line goes to the engine, one to the generator from that T fitting.

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 524 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
What are the other two lines in the picture for? I would guess that one of them is a return line but the other? Also, I see two electrical connections. Again, I guess one is for the fuel gage but what about the other? My 85 Regal 454 does not have an electric fuel pump anywhere, depending on the engine mounted fuel pump to do all the sucking.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
My 85 Regal 454 does not have an electric fuel pump anywhere, depending on the engine mounted fuel pump to do all the sucking.

At the minimum, I would wrap aluminum foil around any fuel line on the intake side of the pump you can reach.