Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Coolant leaking at back of motor
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Coolant leaking at back of motor
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted
I was looking down on the motor from the bedroom access panel today and I noticed coolant at the rear of the motor on top of the trans housing. I wiped it up and turned on the motor and observed for a bit. I then saw coolant oozing out where the head and the block meet. I am not a mechanic but I suppose this is where the head gasket is located. I just did an oil analysis from Blackstone last week and there was no coolant in the oil. I have been loosing coolant for awhile, replacing a gallon about every 500 miles. Now we are getting ready to take a 600 mile trip in a couple days. How serious is my problem and should I cancel the trip?

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Take the coach to a reputable shop and start by having the coolant system pressure checked. If it has less than 16# of pressure you have a leak. If you drive with a leaking head gasket the leak area will get very hot and crack the head or the block or both. The damage that now might cost a few hundred dollars to fix can easily become thousands for a new engine.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tom. I was wondering if poring in a gasket sealant would work.

4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Some sealants work OK for radiator leaks, but the conditions at the head are much more severe - and critical. You don't want coolant in the oil nor in the cylinders.

The only trip you should take is to the shop.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Consider going to a heavy industrial Cummins trained shop and tell them you want to pay for diagnosis and you will get several estimates before authorizing repairs. A motorhome owner with a suspected head gasket failure invites a big bill, you should have at least two shops give their opinions. Best wishes and good luck.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
A gallon per 500 miles is a serious leak. Agree with Tom, take it to a good shop (2nd opinion is always needed) for their findings.

NEVER use gasket sealant! It will gum up the oil cooler in the block and cause further damage to the cooling system.

On the brighter side, I believe there is a coolant connection at the rear of the block that goes to the front dash heater. Maybe? But if you are seeing the coolant "oozing" at the head block junction, it probably is the head gasket.

I had a head gasket leak at the thermostat area (5.9L) and indeed it was the head gasket. It cost me $600 in just the parts. This could be a couple of thousand $ repair for parts and labor.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only trip you should take is to the shop.

Fred, the above reply from Rusty echoes the thoughts of everyone here. Thank God you noticed the leak before leaving on your trip. You could be at the mercy of a mechanic you need on the highway. Not to mention a tow and other related problems that could occur if you take the trip without the proper repairs.
Lucky to find it before a real disaster.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The only thing I can suggest is to retorque the head bolts. You might be able to stop the leak if they are loose. Still requires removal of valve covers but can be done semi skilled amateurs like us.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
I took it to the shop today and had a pressure test. The reading was eight. They also showed me where it was leaking which is what I suspected. They are putting on a new head gasket and also they are putting on a new muffler and some new exhaust pipe because I was getting fumes inside the coach. They pointed out the exhaust leaks to me. They are also changing the oil. They are putting archer oil in it, has anybody heard of archer oil? Any way, it all comes to about $1800. They guarantee their work and I thought that was a great price. Looks like we will go on our trip to Alabama on Saturday or Sunday. Thanks to everyone for your input.

4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Steve......

semi-skilled amateurs like us??

You better speak for yourself.....I'll have you to know I could do that job in 15 minutes or less.....only if I could just find my crescent wrench...I know I laid it out in the yard somewhere...or maybe the flowerbed......

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Price is very good considering what they are doing. Make sure they check for any broken exhaust manifold bolts, cracked manifold while the head is off.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
CHeck to see if the head will have to be retorqued after so many miles. Not common, but some gaskets still require it.

quote:
I'll have you to know I could do that job in 15 minutes or less.....only if I could just find my crescent wrench...I know I laid it out in the yard somewhere...or maybe the flowerbed......

Always use the right tool - in this case pliers.... Mechanic

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Head bolts are "torque-to-yeild" bolts and do not need to be re-torqued. Once they are torqued with proper initial torque and then angle set they should not be changed. I never like that system but it does work and saves a lot of work later.

The valve lash should be checked after 10K miles.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

posted Hide Post
Umm, the head has to be removed to change the gasket and they will replace the head bolts, but you can have them install ARP studs in lieu of the bolts. Studs are stronger and provide fool proof torque to the head. A full set on a diesel will cost about $400 (less if you deduct the cost of the new bolts) and will never require any maintenance. I suspect your leak resulted from a loosening or stretching of the original bolts. Studs will prevent that from ever re-occuring.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Always use the right tool....

In engineering school, I did a work study program with a group of machinists at Firestone Tire Company....

They taught me....

Measure with a micrometer.....
Mark with chalk....
Cut with an axe.....

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post