Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    hooking up gen to house
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

hooking up gen to house
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Rick & Marcia
posted
I'm wondering if anyone has hooked up their generator to their house and how to do it..

Fall River, WI
Year:: 1985, 1985
Model:: 22-FP1 28-FP3
Length:: 22' 28'
Engine:: 454 Chevy 7.4 w/3 speed auto both coaches
Data Tag Number:: 8506 3225 22FP1 / 8504 3204 28FP3

For Wi and UW/Bucky fans please look at marciasparks.com

Posts: 96 | Location: Fall River, WI | Member Since: 10-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Most codes require that you have an approved disconnect to prevent backfeeding. Backfeeding is when you feed your gen power into a line provided by the power company. This can kill workers who thought the line was dead. Or was dead when they started working on it. An approved disconnect is the only legal thing I know of for sure.

If you are a rule-breaking person, you can remove the meter and connect to the buses inside your breaker box. Store the meter where no one but you can find it, as you don't want to power up the lines with your gen.

You can also just open your main breakers, but I do not recommend it, as someone simply flipping the breakers back on at the wrong time can kill a lineman.

If you are both electrical and mechanical, you can put a breaker in your box that is connected to a cord going to your generator, allowing the gen to feed your house. This requires a mechanical interlock, which is little more than a sliding plate of 1/8 aluminum that has notches that allow the gen connect breaker to be closed only after the main breakers are opened. And vice versa. I believe these are commercially available for certain breaker panels, and might meet some codes, but most inspectors won't approve something they've never seen before. I made one for my last house, but don't know what the inspectors would have thought of it, so removed it in anticipation of selling the house.

I would not recommend doing any of this without the advice of a good electrician.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick & Marcia
posted Hide Post
After a brief search on the internet, I found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbtRxcb-cmA

Leave it to YouTube! Thanks and I'll keep you posted if I do something with this idea.
Rick

quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
Most codes require that you have an approved disconnect to prevent backfeeding. Backfeeding is when you feed your gen power into a line provided by the power company. This can kill workers who thought the line was dead. Or was dead when they started working on it. An approved disconnect is the only legal thing I know of for sure.

If you are a rule-breaking person, you can remove the meter and connect to the buses inside your breaker box. Store the meter where no one but you can find it, as you don't want to power up the lines with your gen.

You can also just open your main breakers, but I do not recommend it, as someone simply flipping the breakers back on at the wrong time can kill a lineman.

If you are both electrical and mechanical, you can put a breaker in your box that is connected to a cord going to your generator, allowing the gen to feed your house. This requires a mechanical interlock, which is little more than a sliding plate of 1/8 aluminum that has notches that allow the gen connect breaker to be closed only after the main breakers are opened. And vice versa. I believe these are commercially available for certain breaker panels, and might meet some codes, but most inspectors won't approve something they've never seen before. I made one for my last house, but don't know what the inspectors would have thought of it, so removed it in anticipation of selling the house.

I would not recommend doing any of this without the advice of a good electrician.

Fall River, WI

Posts: 96 | Location: Fall River, WI | Member Since: 10-14-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Nice link...............I gotta get a computer with sound. Frowner

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
The husband of one of my co-workers was killed doing this. I don't the all the specifics but it had to do with proper grounding. They were using their RV to power their home after a hurricane.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have a 5KW portable generator that I use to power part of the house via a manual transfer switch. I loaned my SOB out to neighbors after Hurricane Frances - they ran extension cords from the SOB's external outlet to their appliances.

As has been mentioned, powering the house panel WITHOUT a transfer switch to disconnect the mains is both illegal and dangerous.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick & Marcia
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I am aware of transfer switches and need to look further. You are right about the danger of electricity. Not something I consider lightly. I'm a retired builder!

quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I have a 5KW portable generator that I use to power part of the house via a manual transfer switch. I loaned my SOB out to neighbors after Hurricane Frances - they ran extension cords from the SOB's external outlet to their appliances.

As has been mentioned, powering the house panel WITHOUT a transfer switch to disconnect the mains is both illegal and dangerous.

Fall River, WI