Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Dometic reefers
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dometic reefers
 Login now/Join our community

FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I know the Samsung I'm using can run off MSW because it has a built in inverter to 12V. I think most need a PSW.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
Bill,

I know the Samsung I'm using can run off MSW because it has a built in inverter to 12V.

That's interesting. I didn't know anyone did that. I just checked Samsung's site, and saw nothing under 18 cu ft.

quote:
I think most need a PSW.

Yeah, I thought so, too, but never checked into it.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I suspect the Samsung's "inverter" is actually a transformer for the control panel low voltage. My recommendation is that AC motors should be run only on PSW inverters. While hysteresis will smooth out some of the steps in MSW output, the extra cost of the PSW unit is insurance.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I also understand that a motor running on MSW vs PSW will require 20 to 30% more power.

I know in our Newell we had an Amana 21 cu' that sucked battery power like crazy. 12 T105 were dead in a day and a half. Worked great plugged in. There is a reason almost all MH manufactuer use absorbtion refers. It's not money as they could save a lot with household units.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1186 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First off, Steve, I really hope to get to Hillsborough this year. Really missed everyone last year not going.

On to the reefer:
Here is a silly little video that shows the digital inverter compressor technology http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJhxgzm1Ye8

And about ten Wanderlodge owners have switched and run easily off MSW.

And yes, they are 18cu ft and above.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It sounds like what Samsung calls an "inverter" isn't one in the commonly-used sense. I'd liken it more to a motor controller for a variable-speed compressor. If that's the case, the "inverter" may well convert 120VAC to a filtered or regulated output.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
The reefer I installed is and has been happy with a square wave inverter, a Freedom 10. The motor has not spoken to me but it is so nice to cruise without the genny running to provide miniscule output and not having an unwanted defrost cycle. Prior to the inverter we would take an afternoon cruise and have to drink beer and eat ice cream like crazy people or they would get warm/melt respectively. Now the inverter takes care of the fridge and we can relax our pace...

slightly.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:

Here is a silly little video that shows the digital inverter compressor technology

Really? Technology?

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is a silly little video that shows the digital inverter compressor technology

Really? Technology?

Too technical for you, huh? ROTFLMAO

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
With all this talk about reefers, I thought we were having a flash back to the 60's... wack

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moonbeam-Express:
quote:

Really? Technology?

Too technical for you, huh? ROTFLMAO

some days I feel like the guy on the left, some days the guy on the right

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
....have any comments on MSW vs PSW?

going gaga---ok what is the difference??

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
They refer to the quality of the AC "sine wave" produced by the power supply. PSW (pure sine wave) is ideal, like what we get from the power company.

MSW (modified sine/square wave) is an approximation of a sine wave, a stair-step up and down curve. Motors generally do not like MSW and have trouble with start up surges, some electronic equipment gets interference, but many other loads can handle MSW no trouble. (MSW inverters are usually cheaper)

Generators produce pure sine waves.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
With all this talk about reefers, I thought we were having a flash back to the 60's... wack

SIXTIES? I think "reefer" fell into disuse in the late '40s or early '50s.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I think the term was revived in the sixties with the reintroduction of the 30's movie "Reefer Madness"

It was supposed to be a serious anti-drug movie but it was so dated and staged it became a comedy of sorts. (All the stoners liked to watch it for a good laugh, almost a cult like the Rocky Horror Picture Show)

I especially liked the "totally wired" guy playing piano... ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp