Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    fuel pressure regulator
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

fuel pressure regulator
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
During the 80's GM fuel systems used in tank electric fuel pumps and in line fuel pressure regulators. The pressure regulators are usually mounted on the rear frame rail ahead of the gas tank.

They are supposed to be adjustable and are mounted so the the adjustment can be done through a hole in the frame.

After I removed my engine fuel pump, the fuel pressure was about 9 psi. The Quadrajet carb likes about 4-5 psi. Unfortunately, the adjustment on my regulator was corroded and seized. I replaced it.

The regulator is identical to the current Holley #12-803.

It is located on the passenger side behind the rear spring mount:

Closer: (notice the adjustment screw and jam nut)

Here is the inside frame shot:

The regulator is made for 4.5 to 9 psi. It came about set about 6, I set it for 5 psi.

It was easy to change (changed a few fuel hoses while there) and costs about $25. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Upon returning from our first outing (2 days after purchace) I found fuel dripping from rear of coach. Result of cracked diaphram in regulator. My replacement was more work than your's as they had run the hydrolic lines for the jacks thru that access hole in frame. I had to drop fuel tank to replace. Mine is set at 4lb, I still have engine driven pump. From what I can tell they started using this setup mid 85's up. My 86 Chevy truck manual doesn't show the in tank pump or reg. Took a guess on PSI. Your pdf on vapor lock was the best info I have seen on this system.

Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I had forgotten how much easier it is to work under my coach. Because of the tag axle, the coach is 8 inches higher off the frame, lots more room to work around the frame and tanks. I'm glad of that every time I go "down under!"

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Nice writeup Steve! mechanic

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Steve,
My concern is that the hose to the input of the regulator is held in place with a single rusty hose clamp, and that is a pressurized line.

Great info on the regulator. On mine, the regulator is the only part of the fuel system, other than the tank, that I have not yet replaced.
thanks!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 525 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post