Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Cruise Control or not? 1" black hose?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Cruise Control or not? 1" black hose?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
We lost power to our cruise control on the way home from milford. I decided to see what the problem was last night & found what happened sort of. The cruise control has a green ground wire that connects to the back of the unit. It either broke off or pulled out.

Looks like a screw is missing in the back or the wire was just shoved in.

Regardless what ever was holding it in almost rubbed a hole in the 1" black hose that goes from one side of the engine to the other.
This shows the cruise control unit,black hose,that goes from the drivers side of engine over engine to other side of engine:

This pic shows a close up of what the black hose is connected to on the dr side of engine:

Shows close up of black hose on passenger side:

what is this black hose going from one side over to the other side of engine?

What is the speedometer cable attached to in this picture? It appears it is a speedo extender unit for lack of a better word. We thought it could have been an earlier cruise control because of the smaller cable that comes out of the top of it looks like what you would attach to the throttle for a cruise control but it is not attached see 2nd pic below.
Top of speedo cable extender unitSmiler no clue what it really is:

end of top cable folded over just for sake of picture

The speedo cable is attached to this round thing on the bottom, & then beside the speedo cable is another cable that attaches to a sensor & then to the gear vendor over/under drive we have.
4 pics of speedo cable coming into speedo extender thingy & then other cable going out:

speedo extender cable attached to gear vendor over/under drive

Do we have two cruise controls?

I was going to remove one of them to get rid of more clutter in the engine compartment but discovered they both were functioning one as a cruise control & the other as a speedo cable extender thingy.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Your first one is the vacuum control for the throttle cable that is regulated by the cruise control. Standard on all Chevy V-8's of that era. It predated the electronic controls. The green wire is a ground and the screw fell out.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Black hose over the top of the engine is part of a smog control system. Is your cruise control bracket attached to your a/c compressor, or is that an air pump for the smog control? The hoses attached to it don't look like a/c stuff.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to remove anything that doesn't need to be there when ever I find it. Of course I won't remove anything until I am actually having to work on something in the area of that which is not being used anymore. Like Rusty says DON'T follow this philosophy "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is". This phrase has saved me from a lot of unnecessary projects.

So, can I someday remove this smog control thing or is it saving me gas or giving me some other benefit!!????
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
I'm trying to remove anything that doesn't need to be there when ever I find it...
I have a saying too... "The hallmark of a great job is having leftover stuff when repairs are completed."

Hopefully, this phrase will help you too. mechanic

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The smog system supposedly reduces pollution, but has no other benefit I am aware of. The air pump steals a minor amount of power, & though it clutters up the engine compartment, removing it is a hassle with a poor cost/benefit ratio, & of doubtful legality. I wouldn't mess with it unless I installed headers, which would not be strictly legal unless the headers were equipped to accept the air injectors which are those little pipes that "T" off the big horizontal pipe you see in your photo that shows "what the hose is connected to on the dr side of engine."

Though not strictly legal, messing with this is not likely to be a big problem unless your state has strict smog police like CA.

Now, if you were to install a new, modern crate engine complete with fuel injection & headers, you could trash the whole system, & probably some other junk in your engine compartment as well.

Unless you plan this kind of major surgery which is economically feasible only if you're replacing a blown engine; & presuming you're basically satisfied with your performance & economy, the appropriate rule is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

This is something I finally learned about 20 years ago, after 45 years of failing to heed Rusty's admonition to avoid the philosophy, "if it ain't broke, fix it until it is." At that, I've strayed from that rule a time or two in more recent years.

Today, that whole issue is moot for me since I'm no longer physically capable of messing around in engine compartments, etc. (Sigh)

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
You need to understand the smog pump. The car companies were forced to reduce emissions before the advent of fuel injection and ECM's so they introduced injecting air directly into the exhaust system via they ports installed in the exhaust manifolds. The pump combined the pcv vent into the pump intake and injected it to the manifolds. You can remove it all because it was not required on trucks (P-30) and it is usually ineffective anyway. Almost all 454 applications eliminate it with no impact (other than changing the belts to compensate for the missing pump.) Removal is easy - just put a new pcv in the valve cover and port it to the large inlet in the carb and you are done. No inspector will ever look for it as it was only used for about two years.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Tennessee does not require any vehicle inspection. Will look into removing anti smog system when I know more about it & I'm working in that area on something else.

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My 84 has to have the air pump and the PCV valve to pass CA smog. I just replaced the pump last time to pass, and had to replace the PCV valve a few years back. Even the manifold heat stove and tube have to work (I found out).

Having all the smog stuff working can mean the difference between a sale and no sale at selling time if the prospective buyer is in a state with smog laws.

I have no issues with my smog stuff, as it does not affect performance. But, I am just waiting to leave El Lay so I can put a Weiand high rise manifold on (which happens to have no EGR).

That said, if you remove the smog pump, a Dayco 15460 works. Your smog pump will not be fit for use, as the vanes will freeze up.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/11
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tennessee does not require any vehicle inspection. Will look into removing anti smog system when I know more about it & I'm working in that area on something else.

Tere

Tere, as you know my engine compartment is a congested nightmare. I will be addressing mine in the near future, I'll let you know what I encounter mechanic

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post

quote:
TomK Removal is easy - just put a new pcv in the valve cover and port it to the large inlet in the carb and you are done. No inspector will ever look for it as it was only used for about two years.

What does the pump look like? It may already be off. I'll try to take a pic of the belt area to see if you can tell me if you see it.

quote:
Ol RoyBlack hose over the top of the engine is part of a smog control system. Is your cruise control bracket attached to your a/c compressor, or is that an air pump for the smog control? The hoses attached to it don't look like a/c stuff.

cc bracket is attached to a/c compressor not air pump

son in law says the air pump is not there

For the time being can I just remove the black hose & cap off ends since there is no air pump?

Thanks,
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
Tere, I don't remember seeing a pump on your engine but I am getting old and the memory seems to be first to go. If the hose runs from one side to the other, the pump may already be removed and the hose could be the PO means of addressing the openings left in the air injector tubes.

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

Posts: 190 | Location: Crystal River, FL | Member Since: 08-16-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
OH - Wait a minute...are you reading my mind tom. This is scary.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I always have trouble reading my own so I might as well try others. Big Grin

Tom & Jillene

1988 Regal
28' Chevy 454
8805-3538-28C-B3

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:

What does the pump look like? It may already be off. ,
Tere

Mine is a single one just underneath the alternator. A little later, thy went to two. It has a single pulley mounted with three bolts which take a 10mm wrench. The body of the pump has radial fins around it just behind the pulley. There is a tall casting that attaches with two bolts and sticks up a few inches, with a valve on top. The plumbing from the top of the casting leads to the exhaust manifolds.

Easiest of all, it is driven by the front belt, the same one that drives the alternator.

That is all the memory provides, so holler if you would like a photo.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post