Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Another New??Owner
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Another New??Owner
 Login now/Join our community

posted
As I am looking at purchasing a 1987 Barth Regency . It has a 3208T CAT w/Gillig chassis, and a Allison 4 speed transmission. I think I know allot about the specs of this coach as purchased initially and the interior.

I have had a positive response from my friend that looked at the interior. But, for example, that person did not look underneath to see if oil was on the ground. I never thought to ask my friend to look a the mechanical stuff. Duh… Oh she is very capable in that area, but again, Duh on my part. So I am left with me to look at the details of the mechanical stuff.

With over 200k miles on the coach. My question is what issues or problems/concerns should I be looking for when I go to see it?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Al

Posts: 2 | Location: Poynette, WI | Member Since: 07-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forums!

I don't have time at the moment to search, but there have been many posts and threads offering good advice.

It would also help if you provided info on the proposed coach, as many are well-known here.

I'm sending you a PM with the results of an inspection I did a year ago for a barthmobiler who was overseas at the time, and this might help in developing your own checklist.

There's also this thread

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe I should not have expressed an interest in a particular coach. Shelley has past on many documents of their coach down in Florida. When I went to look at a gasser Barth coach in Illinois. I realized I did not know what to look for. That one was a no go due to lots of rust underneath. At the moment, I have no knowledge of Cat, Allison or say Gillig chassis to ask good questions or look for little red or orange flags (orange from personal experience on the AlCan HWY).

Fyi, I have had two TT since 2004. I did do diligence on both. But on the first one the bath got smaller every day. The second, an Artic Fox, is a prize. Now, because of me being 66 and my companion being 77 dog years old, we need to just settle into a site and go play ball when moving around on the road.

Hence, after much more due diligence, I found what looks right for me and that is a Barth. Besides, the comradely on this site is very appealing. It is very much like the Arctic Fox/Nash forum. I am still trying to figure out how black holes get into the Tech section (I think) responses. I will read further back for the answer.

As an example of what I am looking for. When I purchased a one year old 2003 Ford diesel truck. I was unaware of the injector problems Ford was having. I lived through that (under warranty, thank God) and the truck is very reliable today. If I were to consider purchasing another one today. I would ask if the ball joints have been replaced and when. Has the radiator been flushed and when, show me the receipt. I would not ask about the injectors if the engine exhaust was clean when started.

Thanks for the reply Rusty.

Al

Posts: 2 | Location: Poynette, WI | Member Since: 07-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Black holes can pop up anytime, anywhere, with little or no warning. Big Grin

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post