Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    radiator over flow and washer bottle 85 regal
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

radiator over flow and washer bottle 85 regal
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Barth_Vader
posted
I have read that most barth parts are off the shelf from other vehicles, are there parts lists out there by year or model. Both reservoirs are cracked and in nee of replacement.

Posts: 48 | Location: austin tx | Member Since: 07-15-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem. I looked at mine just now and saw that the GM stickers have weathered away. I recall though, that the overflow tank has the GM part number cast on the body of the tank. I think you have to remove the tank to see the number.
happy motoring!
Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barth_Vader
posted Hide Post
I was hoping that might be the case but haven't looked yet. Thanks for the info!

Posts: 48 | Location: austin tx | Member Since: 07-15-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Barth Vader ,
After you look for the part # on the over flow (radiator) tank ,

Can you post the part # ?? ,

Im looking for one too .

Thanks, Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barth_Vader
posted Hide Post
No problem! I spent last weekend replacing compartment locks, installing new antenna, marker light covers, water drain valve, etc. New toilet is on the way and carpet will be coming out in preparation for wood plank vinyl sheet flooring soon. Also need to find a 6.5kw generator

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
The first thing that broke on my 89 Regal after I bought it was the coolant overflow reservoir. On the way home, a jackass pulling a u-haul trailer passed me going 60+ in a construction zone, and cut in front of me so close that a rock went through the front grill and cracked the reservoir.

I'm all for getting exact parts replacements, but I just went to an autoparts chain (O'Reilly maybe?) and bought a universal overflow tank. It fit just fine.

The washer bottle was cracked when I bought it. A universal was the answer there, too.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Quinn , I don't care if i find a oem reservoir, a replacement will work very well for me .

The reservoir in my coach is a old gallon jug, the previous owner put in .

What is the correct size (capacity) reservoir, for a Barth Regal with 454 ???

Thanks, Bob

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
My unit is in the shop, I'll grab the part number off of mine when I get it back on Friday.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barth_Vader
posted Hide Post
I purchased universal parts for both. The coolant reservoir was exactly the same but I doubt it was the original.

Picture of Barth_Vader
posted Hide Post

Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Barth-Vader , Thanks for the links , of the correct radiator coolant reservoir . Bob

Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Sorry I didn't post. Part numbers weren't visible, and I didn't have time to remove the tanks.

I'm pretty sure that the first link is the one we bought.

Quinn

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

posted Hide Post
quote:

Barth_Vader were you happy with the size of the washer fluid bottle? To do it again would you go bigger?

Posts: 29 | Location: Prince William County, VA | Member Since: 10-25-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
This is Tere. '89 regal I just replaced mine too. The oem has been discontinued 14042454. So I bought the same one y'all noted from amazon. I was really having a problem with the size of mine as well. Mine does not have a radiator cap like the one in the picture though just a screw on cap. I asked my son in law about it & he said it will work fine. The original part on ours is an expansion tank & does not have an overflow hose out of tank. He said his car a gm produce has expansion tank with no overflow tube so that when he is racing the overflow won't go all over the track. He also said he has never seen one like I bought ever flow back into radiator. After I drained radiator of antifreeze then refilled. I installed the overflow tank & hoses. Manual says to start engine with radiator cap off. Allow to get up to temp, 10 min.ish, allow antifreeze to expand & flow into tube & into overflow tank. (This gets all the air out of the system) He said he had never seen one like mine flow back into radiator. Which tells me to ck & fill at radiator fill not overflow tank.

When there was more overflow from radiator that it spilled over lip I replaced radiator cap & allowed the to run another 5 min. It overflowed into new tank to 1/2" over cool line & stopped. I ck'd level the next day & it had not flowed back into the radiator. Hope this helps somebody.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The function of the recovery tank depends on the radiator cap. The radiator cap has two rubber seals. The primary one is large and spring loaded to hold 15 psi. It seats onto the lower inside neck of the rad. When pressure or expansion exceeds 15 psi, the coolant seeps past the gasket and flows into the rad neck and through the tube into the recovery tank. There is a check valve in the center of the gasket to allow return flow. There is also a second less obvious seal that contacts the upper top of the rad neck.

The return flow depends on the amount of fluid. If the rad is full to the top, there is no bubble of steam vapor in the radiator and nothing is needed.

If the radiator is not full, the empty space is filled with water vapor (steam) When the system cools, the trapped steam contracts and produces a slight vacuum (suction) in the radiator. This is what should be pulling the fluid back into the radiator through the overflow hose. After a few heat/cool cycles the system will return fluid until the rad is completely full. However, if the upper/outer seal on the cap is not good, air leaks in under the cap and no fluid can be sucked back in.

I am surprised your son has not seen them working. Every one I've ever had worked fine if the rad cap was good.

I replaced the cap on the Monarch a while back. Works fine now.

Check your radiator cap closely. Be sure the overflow hose is intact and reaches to the bottom of the tank. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

rad cap

Posts: 5158 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post