Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Patio Bulb
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Patio Bulb
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted

Pictured is the "patio light" bulb I need to replace on my '92 Breakaway. The stamped number on the base of the bulb yields no search results. My concern with going to an auto parts place is I may end up with too "hot" of a bulb resulting in melting the lens cover.
Any suggestions, including the possibility of going LED, would be appreciated. Thanks all.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
I would go with LED (light emitting diode) replacement. Your bulb looks like an 1156 bulb. There are several LED replacements available. Some have more forward facing LEDs than others.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I put one of these in the Bargman patio fixture of my Breakaway. I also bought both clear and amber new lenses for the Bargman.
LED BULB 12V REVOLUTION ROTATING RV - 200 LUMENS WHITE, $18

2.5w replaces 1003, 1073, 1093, 1129, 1141, 1156...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-BU...AOSwBLlVMXEE&vxp=mtr

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The 5x5 25 LED bulb I got has apparently been discontinued, however:

http://dg-usa.com/#!/LED-Bulb-...047/category=1206569

The 5x5 is VERY bright.

Google: 52532led for places that may still have them in stock. Expect to pay ~$30 each.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
LED it will be to replace the 1156-like bulb. Will go "forward facing". Had no idea they existed. Will post my decision and level of satisfaction. As always, all.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Best part about LEDs is they don't attract bugs when on. Maybe they are smarter then we are? If you look on Ebay or Amazon you can find a 20 pack or so of 1156s and swap out all your old bulbs. Use something like a 1/10th of the wattage. One thing to be aware of is that LEDs only light on the right polarity so if you put one in and it doesn't light your wiring might be "backwards" try running jumpers to the opposite posts on the bulb before assuming it is a bad bulb.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Just turn the bulb over 180 degrees to change the bulb's polarity.......................Carl

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Depends on the bulb used: hmm

The bulb shown has an 1156 style base, ie a single center electrode with socket as ground. They are normally wired with the spring center contact positive and the socket negative. The LED bulb expects that polarity. The old style Edison bulbs are a simple resistor wire and don't know polarity. It is possible that the socket is indeed reverse polarity and must be rewired.

Some bulbs are the 1157 style with two terminals on the base of the bulb. These can be used for two circuits when the socket is grounded, ie tail light and brake light. (BA15D socket)

An 1142 style bulb also has two contacts on the light base but is usually wired to a single filament using no socket ground. (BAY15D socket) The only difference in the bulbs is the bayonet lugs are staggered for the 1157 style but the lugs are even in the 1142 style and you can reverse the bulb.

These will indeed reverse polarity by simply rotating the bulb 180.

I had 1142 bulbs in several of the interior fixtures which are ungrounded. Most LED arrays are polarity sensitive, others by design are not. I had to rotate bulbs when installing to get them all working. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
They are normally wired with the spring center contact positive and the socket negative. The LED bulb expects that polarity. The old style Edison bulbs are a simple resistor wire and don't know polarity.

Not if you own a TVR. LOL I spent quite some time rewiring when I went to LEDs as they took the lazy approach when wiring. Spot on though with the polarity and how different bulbs can or can't be used. I would love to change out my tail/turns but haven't figured out how to make them work yet. Seems that the stop is the issue.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you own a TVR

Then you bow to the PRINCE OF DARKNESS !

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benebob:

Not if you own a TVR. LOL I spent quite some time rewiring when I went to LEDs as they took the lazy approach when wiring. Spot on though with the polarity and how different bulbs can or can't be used. I would love to change out my tail/turns but haven't figured out how to make them work yet. Seems that the stop is the issue.

I had to wire an 1157 bulb in parallel to make both the tail and stoplights work.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post