Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Electrical System Question
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Electrical System Question
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted
OK, exactly how do things work. I thought that my engine alternator charged all of my batteries. Then I was told that my engine alternator only charged my engine battery.

Now one thing I do know is that my aux battery switch does not work, however there is a connector between the engine and coach batteries that I can disconnect by a moving the lever between the batteries.

Now I also understand that my convertor only charges my coach batteries but charges them really slow. If I have the lever down and the connection is made between the coach and engine batteries will my engine battery be charged by my converter?

I have my coach plugged in all winter, will that keep all my batteries charged all winter.

Thanks....

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Dave, the convertor installed by Barth in my 84 will not charge tha battery. The instruction sheet says it will not. Would you like a copy? I suspect that the battery switch you are talking about is not from the factory. The factory usually used an isolator that allowed the alternator to charge both chassis and coach batteries at the same time, albeit with a .7 volt drop.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
I have a trickle charger mounted to the battery tray on my '85. The previous owner put it there and we use it to keep the cranking battery topped off. This may also keep the house batteries up if only at a very slow rate. I carry a battery charger with 110 amp start capacity on trips for emergencies. I haven't had to use it yet but it's good peace of mind.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
One other thing:
The Delcotron will blow its regulator if you run the engine with the large terminal not connected to a battery, even for a moment
If that lever parallels the batteries, it is probably a substitute for the aux battery system, which does the same thing. I might add that my aux relay failed, and shorted out my alternator output. Paralleling coach and chassis batts is good for storage charging if you have a good charger. In the absence of a float charger, you can use a regular charger on a timer. Depending on your batts and temp, start with 1/2 hr per day and monitor with a hydrometer or voltmeter to get an idea.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post