Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Zinc Anode for corrosion?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Zinc Anode for corrosion?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Has anyone heard of trying to stave off galvanic corrosion on the Barth by attaching a marine-grade zinc anode somewhere?

My storage compartments are taking the brunt of the corrosion burden, at least that I can see. And I'd like to find a way to stop it once I remove the damage.

-James

'87 Barth Regal 25', Chevy 7.4L

Posts: 11 | Location: USA | Member Since: 09-27-2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
In my opinion, you have identified the Achilles heel of the Barth coaches. With all aluminum construction, floor and above, we see very little corrosion. Below the floor the skirts and compartments have steel framing. A sad choice.

Most of the corrosion repairs I have seen and done were to storage compartments and doors, battery boxes, and lower side skins. On my 86 it appeared that the steel frames were separated from the aluminum skins by only a couple layers of what looked like duct tape. After a while many of the lower frames were very corroded. Whenever I repaired areas, I made sure the steel was epoxied into place to prevent direct contact with any aluminum.

It would be great to find a way to reduce the galvanic corrosion. Isolation and low humidity are desirable, anodes could work, but where to place them? hmm

Some high tech systems put an electrical charge on the chassis, not sure if that would work with our metal to metal corrosion problems.

A good topic to discuss!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5167 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I can find, the correct anode for a Barth would be something like Navalloy which is an alloy of zinc, aluminum, and indium.

As to where to place it, I'm not sure. I know that I've got corrosion on my compartment exteriors, so I imagine that would be an option.

But what would be the ideal location(s)?

Would one in each corner inside the aluminum skin work?

Or are the compartments' steel boxes isolated and in need of their own anode?

Some folks I've read about, with aluminum hull boats, stick with very good paint and leave it at that.

Posts: 11 | Location: USA | Member Since: 09-27-2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post