Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    split rim wheels replacement
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

split rim wheels replacement
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi,

I'm hoping to take the toaster in for new tires llater this week. I'm bracing myself for the cost of tires and especially the split rim issue.

any idea of what to use if they want to replace my old split rims? is there a standard truck wheel that can easily obtained from used/salvage yards?

stay tuned for some pics of the toaster post-polish. I can see a clear reflection of myself on it now; one side only so far.

paul schuster

Posts: 29 | Location: austin, tx | Member Since: 07-21-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
The wheels are standard 8 bolt chevy.

Ebay has steel rims for about 80.00 plus shipping. If you search this site you should find an answer to one of my questions about wheels where a member pointed me to a place that sells used ALCOA wheels.

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
Any good junk yard will have them for about $30. ech.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be very careful buying wheel rims for your Barth. I have a 1973 and it came with the split rims all around. Nobody it seems wants to deal with them so I was forced to upgrade also.
Here is what I found out.
During 1973 0r 74 Chev must have changed the wheel bolts from a 1/2 inch or so to almost 5/8 inch. I purchased some good used wheels but when I went to install them I needed to use tapered nuts for the front because the holes for the wheel bolts were too big .... possibly allowing bolt shear to happen.
I never did replace the back ones yet as I have not come up with a solution for the duels.
Junk yards do have the rare wheel you want that is not in split rim form however most require a tube.
I would be interested to know what you or anyone else can come up with on this problem but don't buy anything until you measure the wheel bolts.
George

Posts: 28 | Member Since: 04-19-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
George:

I have a 1973 and did not know about the bolt size problem, Thank you.

By the way I still have the split rims on my Barth, I found a place that would work on them, I know if I get a flat it may not be a good deal but ..... drive and pray.

Timothy

[This message has been edited by timnlana (edited October 05, 2004).]

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Another consideration: Many vehicles have a short cylindrical projection on the hub that fits in the center hole of the wheel. This supports the weight and leaves the studs to deal with torque forces from acceleration and braking.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I called the local tire shop that was recommended by the rv repair shop.

they will work w/ the split rims and new tires are $75 w/ just $15 for install.

paul schuster

Posts: 29 | Location: austin, tx | Member Since: 07-21-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
posted Hide Post
I got hit for $10.00 for each tube after install, you may wish to ask up front.

The price sounds very good.

Timothy

posted Hide Post
Bill H and others ...
The hub on the front was the only thing that I thought would allow me to get away with the tapered nuts on the front wheels. I could also get away with the same idea on the outside rears but I am convinced that the inside rears could move around as there is a full 2mm space between the wheel studs and the wheel rim hole.
I wonder if a machine shop could make up a wheel nut that was tapered with a bushing at the end?
Ideas?
George

Posts: 28 | Member Since: 04-19-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
total bill was $299 w/ tax

that included two new duo ply and one new radial tire (both radials are up front).

also moved one of the old wheels onto my spare rim. now I've got a spare.

that was the best $300 I've spent so far. really drove straighter, smoother and quieter

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timnlana:

Ebay has steel rims for about 80.00 plus shipping. If you search this site you should find an answer to one of my questions about wheels where a member pointed me to a place that sells used ALCOA wheels.

Timothy

I am buying a 1972 Barth with "split rims" all around. Where is the best place to buy replacement rims, so as to avoid the problems discussed here? I read the above remarks, but I'm wondering if there is a "spec" that I need to look for. Are the 1972 rims the same as early 1973 rims? Thanks! Tim

Tim Grimes
timgrimes@inbox.com
www.lzontheweb.com
www.erlanger.org

Posts: 25 | Location: Calhoun, GA | Member Since: 03-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timnlana:

Timothy

Timothy - Is this "standard 8 bolt Chevy" wheel design good for a 1972 Barth? Does anyone know? Thanks to everyone in advance for your patience.
Tim

Tim Grimes
timgrimes@inbox.com
www.lzontheweb.com
www.erlanger.org

Posts: 25 | Location: Calhoun, GA | Member Since: 03-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You'll need to describe the pattern so you can match up the mounts. My SOB, a 24' Class C on an '88 G-30 chassis, had the standard GM wheels.

They were (are since I still have 'em)

8.00x16.5
8 (holes)x 5/8" on 6.5" centers
hub bore - 4-9/16"

Several of them were warped. I searched for several weeks for new or used aftermarket or OEM replacements. None was available, unless I with Alcoas.

I finally replaced them with new, contemporary, 7x16" steel wheels. Because the bore was oversize for the hub, I had collars machined to match them up ($40 each). What irked me was that I had just replaced the rear tires, so I got to buy 7 new wheels and tires.

If you have wheels that match the above 8.00x16.5" specs, I still have 7 wheels of which 4 should be good, and 4 new tires with 2500 miles on one pair and 3000 on the other. I'll make you a deal if you want 'em and can use 'em.

My research was sketchy, but from all I could gather, these original wheels were designed to be hub-centric, not bolt-centric, meaning that the vehicle weight has to be supported by the hub, not the studs, hence the adaptors.

However, in the long run, you're better off IMHO to bite the bullet and get new wheels, tires, and adaptors if you have 8.00x16.5s, because while there are decent tires available, wheels are not.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Tried to search for "used ALCOA wheels"

with no results.....

any ideas?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
They're pretty hard to find used, but this is one source.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post