Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    454 vs 366 V8
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

454 vs 366 V8
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of RichieC
posted
A freind of mine has a 366 cid big block truck engine for sale and I need some advice on whether I should consider it to replace my 454.
Thanks in advance,
Richard

Posts: 150 | Location: Nanaimo, B.C. | Member Since: 04-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
The 366 is a "Tall block" made for trucks. Be sure it fits. From what I've read, the 366 does,t share parts with other BB GMs so be sure you're not walking into a mess.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichieC
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply. There must've been a reason that the P30 came with the 454 and not the truck engine.

Posts: 150 | Location: Nanaimo, B.C. | Member Since: 04-12-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The 454 is a later edition of the "big block" Chev. Odds are it came in the P30 because, "you can't beat inches," an old saying of hot rodders regarding the advantages of added displacement.

If you have time to waste, try a Google search for GM 366 engine. There's a lot of references there.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Hey Olroy, I remember the saying as "There' no replacement, for displacement". No truer words ever spoken.
Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Most parts are the same. The block is less than half an inch taller, made that way to accommodate longer piston skirts with one ring. Accessory mounts up front and intake manifold are the biggies. Any BB manifold will fit with spacers and longer bolts. I believe pushrods, pistons and distributor about finishes the list. The brackets and belts up front might need a little cleverness.

A 366 wouldn't be too bad if it were really cheap and you were handy. They are workhorses in trucks and boats.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichieC
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies, fellas. I wish I had the coin to drop on a 502. Razzer

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Richie! As long as you are wishing for the coin, how about wishing for the coin for a 572?
http://www.gmhorsepower.com/ZZ572-620-Base.php

Cool

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichieC
posted Hide Post
That reminds me of a "Hot Rod" article I read when I was about 12 years old. The Hurst Winnebago and the (I think) Crane Cams MoHo on the quarter mile. Smiler I'd just be happy not to be stuck in the "Granny lane" going up big hills. Wink
btw, everything that I've read about the 366 is telling me not to bother. "Boat anchor" was the most widely used adjective. Eeker
quote:
Originally posted by BarthBluesmobile:
Richie! As long as you are wishing for the coin, how about wishing for the coin for a 572?
http://www.gmhorsepower.com/ZZ572-620-Base.php

Cool

Matt

Picture of RichieC
posted Hide Post
Matt, thanks for the link. I'm thinkin' GM might be having a big sale soon...

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
If you are going to buy another engine (or block), or rebuild yours, a 454 can be warmed up quite nicely with a 468 bore, a stroker crank, a better cam, an Edelbrock Performer or Weiand 8017 intake, a little more compression, a carb job, an ignition wake-up, and Thorley headers. The peanut port heads are best for a MH.

Displacement gained by stroking is worth a little more for a MH than the same amount gained by boring. But boring is cheaper, and includes a little extra compression at no extra cost. On a rebuild, it is almost free horsepower. A 454 block .060 over is 468, and .060 is 468, as I recall. I would do a block number check or sonic testing before an .060 overbore, just to be safe. Some builders say that without a blower, it is unnecessary, though.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C&J's Project
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. -Jesse

Posts: 2 | Location: Portland, OR | Member Since: 08-30-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post