Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Interior Ceiling Replacement
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Interior Ceiling Replacement
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted
I have done mutiple searches, but have not found the answer(s) I am looking for. So, I am throwing this out there for some direction, either personal experience or where on this site I might find some advice....
My winter project is going to be removing the one leather(?) ceiling panel that is coming apart and replacing it. This happens to be the ceiling panel that is right behind the front AC unit and extends to the kitchen area. To do this properly, you need to take down the overhead cabinets. I found a couple of suggestions on this site that said to work "around" the overhead cabinets, but I do not think that is the way I want to handle this. Mainly because I am not sure how I would "cut out" along all the cabinet surfaces and replace just a portion of the area.
So, my first question is, has anybody removed and re-installed their overhead cabinets. If so, how difficult is this? I do not think the removal will be terrible, but I'm concerned about putting them back in. I would want them to be just as they are right now after re-installing them, with no creaks and rattles and firmly in place.
The second question is what to expect when I take down the ceiling panel itself. Anybody take one down? I have the leather(?) ceiling and am not sure how it is actually installed. I see the "strips" between the different ceiling panels, but do not know if they are the only things holding it in place. But the leather(?) is coming separated at the joint where it is stapled on the edge. The material is also very stiff from a previous water leak, so it needs to be replaced and not just re-stretched.
Soooooo, any input would be appreciated as I get ready to take on what seems to be a MAJOR project.
Bruce

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I have the same issue but mine if a vinyl ceiling material. I have an edge where the material has pulled out from the seam but not yet away from the seam, some staples came with the pull and have been removed so it still looks OK but is becoming noticable and the panel is very hard because of and was caused by a water leak around the A/C or solar panel.

I don't think there is a way to do this without removing the cabinets which would be a VERY big job. I am contemplating doing this in a couple of years when supposedly I will have more time. I will also add the needed insulation at that time, mine is NOT well insulated above these panels!

I believe the panels are a sandwich of materials, from the inside:

covering-leather or vinyl
later of foam backing
1/4 inch luan (plywood)
silver bubble plastic insulation
air space
outer skin

If and when you do this take lots of pictures please!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
I believe the panels are a sandwich of materials, from the inside:

covering-leather or vinyl
later of foam backing
1/4 inch luan (plywood)
silver bubble plastic insulation
air space
outer skin
Here is a picture of my material that is like Ed's coach.

I cut this section out of my closet.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:

That burger looks a little green. Better throw it out.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bruce & Kathleen
posted Hide Post
Well, I got the meeting of the minds here this past weekend and we discussed the repair of the ceiling. I may be taking a different approach to this problem temporarily, as time, finances and the weather this year may not allow me to do it to the extent that I want to. So, it may just be a "patch" job this year. Time will tell. If I go through with the total replacement, I will keep all informed. If not, I will have indoor storage next year and hopefully will be better equipped to tackle this job. Wonder who would do something like this on a "contracted out" basis and how much it would cost????? My buddies agree, very BIG and RISKY project because all of the cabinets have to come down.

9303 3855 33BS 1B
Bruce & Kathleen
1993 33' Front Entrance Breakaway
230HP Cummins 5.9, Allison 6 speed, Spartan Chassis, Nicely Optioned

Posts: 616 | Location: New Jersey | Member Since: 04-01-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Maybe the cabinets don't have to come down.

How about cutting the ceiling out right up to the cabinet face with an offset blade on a Dremel Multi Max? You could epoxy a depth stop on the blade to avoid cutting the aluminum structure, and protect the face of the cabinet with shim stock.

Then put the new one up with some cove molding? Or, if the new ceiling is vinyl, a big welt or windlace made of the same material.

I'm not sure your coach is like mine, but take a look and see if it would work.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, a member reported stripping the fabric off his ceiling panels without taking the cabinets down. He made patterns of the area to be re-covered, cut rigid backing material (probably door skins, they're about 1/8" thick, & weigh little) to the shape of the patterns, glued fabric to them, then screwed the fabric covered panels to the old ceiling paneling.

My ceiling was beautiful, velour-like material, & not soiled or discolored, but it sagged because the foam backing had deteriorated. I removed the seam strips, pulled the fabric loose on one edge, stretched it flat, folded the loose edge under, stapled it, & replaced the seam strips. It puckered in the corners, but stayed reasonably flat otherwise. Not as neat as a full replacement, but hardly noticeable without close inspection, & it did remove nearly all of the sag.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bill h., you may want to consider cutting around the cabinets and using some sort of "filler" to make the edge esthetically pleasing.

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.