Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Thermostatic Air Cleaner(Thermac)
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Thermostatic Air Cleaner(Thermac)
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Old Blue's 454(1984 manufacture), has a Thermostatic Air Cleaner. In theory, it mixes cool(fresh)outside air and warm (exhaust heated) air based on the temperature the carburetor wants. The hot air from the exhaust manifold was not hooked up when we got Old Blue in 2005. There are two vacuum hoses that go to (or come from)the air cleaner. One goes to something called a TVS, I think that means Temperature Vacuum Switch, from the carb. A second hose goes to (or comes from) the TVS to something called a Sec Vac Brk Act. There is linkage from the Sec Vac Brk Act to the first two barrels of the carburetor.
I want to remove all these hoses. Is that ok? The whole system doesn't work anyway. I would use the same air cleaner and just block the damper to allow 100% outside air to enter at all times and block off the opening for the pipe coming from the exhaust manifold. Based on what I see, it's mixing hot engine air and somewhat cooler outside air all the time right now.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
In mild or hot weather, you don't want preheated (and thus less dense) air feeding the carburetor.
I think the temperature sensor and damper actuator were for better fuel atomization in the carb during very cold weather. I agree that you can probably eliminate the apparatus.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Just remove them. plug the line to the intake. If you going to use it at 0 deg. all the time it would worth having it operational. Otherwise it just 1 more place to have a vacuum leak. I think the sec vacuum brk act was to keep the secondary from opening till engine heated up. Your not driving your coach in the winter every day.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Could I also remove the linkage from the Sec Vac Brk Act to the carb?
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post