Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    AIR tube replacement, bolts, rust, and consequences
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

AIR tube replacement, bolts, rust, and consequences
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted
I declared victory on my intake manifold and camshaft job. I moved on to a "target of opportunity". I bought braided copper cable that was tinned, and toyed with the idea of wrapping the AIR tube with the leak, and putting hose clamps in place to hold the cable.

But, "I wanted to do the right thing". In my mind, that is to replace the damned tube that is going to rust out elsewhere anyway.

To remove it from the header, I had no leverage reaching in from the wheel well to unscrew the AIR tube from a pipe fitting on the header. I thought the right idea would be to remove the header, with the remnants of the AIR tube in place, heat the threads with a torch, and get them out.

There are 8 bolts holding the header to the head. At this point, I removed 4, snapped 1, and rounded 3. PB Blaster is my friend. I have purchased a few more impact sockets and the variances in sizing allow some to work better than others. A big impact driver helps, as does the propane torch to weaken the corrosion grip.

The problem is that the in normal life, header bolts get replaced every few years, when the headers on a Camaro bottom out and rip apart on New England potholes. But these bolts have been in place for 12 years and are very difficult to remove, with how rust resized the heads for me.

I am leaning towards getting a real welder guy to come over and weld nuts for larger bolts on the heads of the rounded bolts. After the header is out, I'll thread a 3/8 nut on the broken bolt and get that welded too.

I have to move the master cylinder to get better access for the welding gear.

The job has to get done!

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

hole in AIR tube

Posts: 524 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
New hardware will be ARP stainless steel header bolts. The heads are drilled for "wiring" in place to prevent bolts from backing out. The proper procedure in using these bolts calls for putting "Never Seize" on the threads so the bolts don't find a way of permanently affixing themselves to the cylinder head.
Matt

Posts: 524 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post