Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    454 mech. temp gauge - sender location
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

454 mech. temp gauge - sender location
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted
Getting ready to install a mechanical water temp gauge (1/8"-1/4" Pipe threads)......

Don't see any radiator ports to tap in to....(Bottom drain port maybe?)

I see an electric sender unit for something on left cylinder bank,midway back, above spark plug line...looks like it could be into water jacket...Use this? (& lose OEM gauge?)

Wake up Billh!...it's 9:30 in the morning Eastern Time!...Lot's to do today

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gebeclh
posted Hide Post
I just replaced my heat sensor over the weekend. Mine is a '97 454, location was just below thermostat housing. The sensor you see on the left bank is your aux. fan sensor for AC condensor, if it is the same as mine.

------------------
"The Moose Is Loose"

[This message has been edited by gebeclh (edited August 09, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by gebeclh (edited August 09, 2004).]

Posts: 16 | Location: Coon Rapids, Mn, USA | Member Since: 04-13-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Lee on my 1976 454 the sending unit for the temp.is on drivers side below the valve covers about midway. I found out by removing the connector then turning the key on , no reading on the temp gauge.

Ralpk Glover

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
My water temp sensor is on the driver's side cyl. head also. This sender is specific to a certain heat range. If the new gauge that you install is a different range-you need a new sending unit. I just installed a new gauge and sending unit.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the confirmation guys....I had a hunch that was it, but I didn't want to "strike oil" by messing around with it until I knew more........

I'll be removing the electric sender and using the port to install a bulb with integral fitting for a mechanical gauge....

Since I can't see down there, I'll be doing it by feel...any idea what size & thread the hole is tapped for?....gauge is set-up for 1/4" pipe thread, and if I have to bush it, the parts folks say that may displace the sensing bulb too far out of the stream to get good readings...

Nothing's ever easy, is it? I should have one of those Diesel Pushers like some of you have, where a three-note chime goes off, followed by a soft female robotic voice saying, "At the tone, the water temperature is, ______ degrees Farenheit"

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Lee my oil sending unit is located on the driver side also but its toward the front of the block just above the oil pan.
Would it be possible to install your sensor up towards the front of the engine
where the heater hoses com off the block. I think they are threaded 1/2 in pipe thread.
I'M not sure if you would get the proper reading, if possible you could leave the existing gage in place so as to compare the readings.

Ralph Glover

Posts: 167 | Location: LaFontaine, IN,USA | Member Since: 07-03-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:

Wake up Billh!...it's 9:30 in the morning Eastern Time!...Lot's to do today [/B]

Monday is double shift day for me. I was already at work.

Mine is also on the left head. You might consider using the similarly located port on the right head. That way you can compare both gages, as mentioned by Ralph. Many Chevys have a plug on the forward part of the intake manifold (to the left of the thermostat, I think) that can be removed to insert a temp bulb.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post