Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    HELP! Reinstalling serpentine belt on Chevy P-30 (454 w/ac)
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

HELP! Reinstalling serpentine belt on Chevy P-30 (454 w/ac)
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi there!

I recently had to replace the alternator on my parents 1989 Safari Trek. (Chevy 454 with AC) The serpentine belt fell off in the process and I am desperately in need of a diagram to put it back on. My vision to the front of the motor is also greatly inhibited, so if anybody has any other advice or pointers to help me complete the job, it would be GREATLY appreciated!

Posts: 6 | Location: Arvada, Co. | Member Since: 05-28-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I took this page out of the 1997 Chevy Motorhome service manual. In this case, this image is supposed to be from 1985½ to 1997. With or without a/c and with or without airpumps.

I found this 454 serpentine routing on the net

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
It seems that the belt routing was a compromise at GM. On my '87, both the crankshaft pulley and the power steering pump pulley have 3 grooves, and on the crankshaft, only 2 are used. So it seems that at one point in the design cycle, the intent was to have 2 v-belts between the crankshaft and the PS pump.

But GM also had to drive the upper AIR pump and the AC compressor. Maybe due to groove offset reasons, GM chose to drive the upper AIR pump from the PS pump.

The water pump pulley supports the 1 serpentine belt, and then has 1 v belt. If this pulley supported 2 v belts, it would probably enable better belt routing ideas.

The Sanden AC compressor has 2 v belt grooves.

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
One technique to figure out is to look at the pulleys; those to use the front (inside) of the belt will be grooved; the back, smooth.

The idler pulley will always be on the back of the belt.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bill, Matt and Rusty. I was able to get the belt restrung and mounted!

Which now leads me to the second problem: The output of the new alternator is weak. There is obviously a short somewhere dragging it down, which is why the last alternator died. My question is, are there common places to look for the short? Or am I doomed to tracing the wiring inch by inch???

Posts: 6 | Location: Arvada, Co. | Member Since: 05-28-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How do you know the output is weak? What happened to the last alternator? If there is a short, a fuse, breaker, or fusible link should have opened. My first assumption (having had multiple decades old vehicles) is that there are grounding problems between the engine, the frame, and the battery. If your alternator isn't seeing 0V where it should be, it will not output 13 or 14V where it should be.

Also, in the timeframe of the production of your vehicle, GM put several different models of alternator on the 454. One of them has a remote sense line to check the +V. This should be checked for clean contacts also.

Good luck!
Matt

Chevrolet 454

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Matt,

I know the output is weak because the dashboard gauge only registers 9v with the engine running. I confirmed this with my digital voltmeter connected directly to the alternator and ground (it registered 10v). The last alternator died after only a few hours of operation. I checked ground between the engine block and frame, and it measured near zero resistance, as it should. Is it possible a bad isolater or v regulator could be to blame?

posted Hide Post
Hi Rio!
"I know the output is weak because the dashboard gauge only registers 9v with the engine running."
I don't think you can be sure that the output is weak, without a few more tests. What is the voltage on the dashboard gauge when the engine is not running? What is the voltage on the dashboard GND connection, relative to battery GND, with and without the engine running.

Also, if your dashboard GND is not at 0V, your fuel gauge will not properly indicate fuel level. (I can attest to this at midnight, somewhere in Idaho, last summer)

"The last alternator died after only a few hours of operation." Could you get a parts shop with a tester to tell you if a coil or the regulator failed?

"and it measured near zero resistance, as it should." That is with a volt-meter, under a condition of forcing a few milli-Amperes through the connection paths. The resistances shown by the corroded connection points are not going to be perfectly ohmic. At 50 Amps loading, you might find a different story about the resistance. Galvanic corrosion and the interface of dis-similar metals are going to do strange things after 20 years.

Does your dashboard radio work OK?

First thing to try, take the isolator out of the circuit and see what happens. On mine, the isolator is attached to the aluminum body, with steel screws. The aluminum body is attached to iron framing, with bolts and/or rivits. This is in turn bolted to the vehicle frame. Every step of the way adds trouble for good grounding.

I think I recall that I had a CS130 Delco alternator, and this has a sense line which went to the isolator. This has to be dealt with as well, and serves as a remote sense for the +V.

First thing, when the engine is running, start taking out the fuses and see if any particular circuit causes trouble. Try headlights on and off. Try the horn. I think if there are failures in the relays for those circuits, you could have a power drain.

Adding new ground lines between the battery, the frame, the engine, the isolator, and the dashboard might be worthwhile.

Good luck!
Matt

Chevrolet 454

posted Hide Post
I'll check all that out and let you know!

posted Hide Post
Alternator problem solved! Again, thanks to everybody who made suggestions. The problem was in a broken fuse in the fuse box. After growing very frustrated in searching-out wiring harnesses, along with verifying the v regulator and isolator were good, I decided to check the fuse block underneath the drivers' side dash board. I found a burnt fuse marked 'gauges' (10 A) and replaced it. When i then fired up the engine, all charging characteristics were restored to all batteries. I verified this by again useing my DMM to check output from the alternator itself, as well as charging voltage to all of the batteries. Everything is fine now. Why a fuse that only routes power to the dash-board would affect the entire charging system is a mystery to me, but that is what happened. I have also included in this post a serpentine belt diagram for my 1998 chevy p-30 chassis 454 V8 vortek fuel injected engine w/AC, for future reference, which was the original problem. Again, THANK YOU ALL!

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rio:
I found a burnt fuse marked 'gauges' (10 A) and replaced it. Why a fuse that only routes power to the dash-board would affect the entire charging system is a mystery to me.

Does your dash have an idiot light for charging?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No.

posted Hide Post
Voltmeter? Ammeter? How do they behave before and after fuse replacement?

You might want to also take the fuse out and check for continuity to GND, battery +, and alternator +.
Matt

Chevrolet 454