Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Fuel pump switch
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fuel pump switch
 Login now/Join our community

posted
We are broken down in Tennessee . Barth with a Ford 460 . Does anyone know where the fuel pump inertia switch or relay is located.

Posts: 6 | Location: Royal Oak, MI | Member Since: 07-30-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have an 89 Oshkosh manual. It is a large file (336 Mb) It will not upload here but here is a link. I hope it still works:

http://www.cdr-roc.com/89JD/89-JD-Chassis-manual.pdf

I found this in there:

Good luck

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
hp

Thank you - my husband just told me that your response helped the mechanic who is working on it

Posts: 6 | Location: Royal Oak, MI | Member Since: 07-30-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Good luck. I am trying to find where the fuel pump relay is located. No luck so far. Keep us posted!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone- we are on the road again. It ended up that the inertia switch was shorted giving no electricity to the fuel pump. Found a great mechanic in Jellico, TN. Very competent, reasonable and pleasant. His facility is not fancy, but he sure helped us. And he stopped the project he was working on to help us. Bramble’s Auto Repair- phone 423-455-3017

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Glad you found the problem and a good man to fix it. Enjoy your trip now! If you can't get that whole manual to load and you want a copy, let me know I can send you a copy on CD or flashdrive.

If you get down to Florida on I75 we are just 6 miles NE from exit 170 near Port Charlotte. We would love to meet you and Jack if we can.

Thanks for the info on the mechanic. Jellico is on the way for lots of trips.

Good luck with the rest of your trip! Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
It sure is great to be able to help folks out, nice to know that there folks who can and will help when one is on a trip.

It also is great that we can plug a good place or person that helps with problems, like this mechanic!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
... and nice to know we have our very own Barth, on-call, 24-7 online mechanic. Thumbs Up

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/20
Picture of Paul And Jaime
posted Hide Post
I live about 25 miles from Jellico. There are lot's of awesome "Old School Mechanics" around here. Glad your back on the road!!

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello everyone
Thanks for your help . We are again off on our adventure we had an interesting day last Sunday parked at the Tenn welcome center in our non running Barth . But we had friendly people , heat . Bottled water , a generator and some food and coffee. Life is good
The good people around there do not work on Sundays and it is their choice. . Monday morning we found a tow truck driver who took our rig to a small shop with a very smart methodical mechanic and within a few hours we were on our way .we found the switch , it’s on the steering column

Anyway all is well after a few hours we enjoyed a nite at the Hampton inn. Made it to 5 miles from Florida and are spending a few days here in 65 degree weather reading books .thanks for everyone’s help
Two incidentals
Found out the Barth brakes well. In a 60 mph to zero Dead stop On l-75, with smoking Semi trailer Tires all around Me , an interesting 3 seconds. It stopped strait and true with toad and only about 85% full pressure. Once every 20 years is soon enough for that .

Secondly Rereading one of the manuals today in pease and quiet I found the location of that switch is listed

Had I read and remembered that four days ago it would have saved a day

VWsteve we will try to look you up as we get further south but so for we we have changed every days plan Who knows

Thanks for everyone help and the people around. Jellico are nice

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
We work on lots of Ford’s and I have never seen an inertia switch on a motor home or any truck. They are in some of the performance cars like Mustangs and are usually mounted to a frame component like the upright in the passenger side front door frame behind the kick panel. They only work when a front end crash exceeds about 4 G’s. They are normally closed so being shorted is normal. You lose nothing by removing them and connecting the two wires. Being mounted on the steering column would be unusual and sounds more like the start gear selector mechanical switch. That can and does wear out and would keep the Barth from running. What made you think of an inertia switch?

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The John Deere Oshkosh manual I quoted makes several references to the inertia switches. They are indicated in the schematics and component diagrams for both carbureted and EFI gas and diesel RV and truck versions in the 89 Oshkosh manual. They are indeed normally closed.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I routed an electric fuel pump through an oil pressure switch, but if I had known about this Inertia switch, that would have been my preference for sure! Sounds like a nice safety device! I have a relay around my oil pressure switch for start-up, if needed. This would not be necessary with a normally closed inertia switch. I hate the fact Ford has it and not GM!!! Hide

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi people

I don’t know how to write to vw steve directly so I am using this
Thank you steve for the invitation we are not going further south so we will meet you in Michigan We had planed to go further south We are up by Webester And have a few 3-5 days stops planned along the west coast , then to Ceder key ,then to the FMCA convention in Georgia apx 03 10 - 03 14 or so

Then maybe north to home .
All.
Is well
We as first time RVers are learning our way . Zero big problems . So far we love the Barth , minor problems water heater does not work and gas valve is 5 days away so no hot water but camp ground showers work .a couple of minor water leaks. Steering gear or something needs Improvement but that will wait to we get back, wanders

Made the stairs into a Z hitting a concrete guard rail in a construction site site going down l-75 but a 5 pound hammer and some bolts should fix them .when We get back .

We have meet some people at the places we have stayed ,many full
Timers We almost did not know full timers existed .

We see many $300,000 rigs beside us and we are glad we did not spend anything in that order of magnitude . we are goin by to try our Barth for a long time before we “ invest “ A quarter of that

Anyway all
Is well
On day 10 of our RV life We will see

Thanks for everyone’s help

Posts: 65 | Location: Royal Oak, Michigan | Member Since: 06-14-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I am glad things are going well. I will definitely try to meet you this summer! We will return to MI in late April.

It sounds like you are having a good time. That is the secret to the RV thing, not how much you spend.

Enjoy your trip and keep us informed. We all enjoy the travel tales of others.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp