Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Question about inverters
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Question about inverters
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of DougZ
posted
What size inverter (watts) would it take to run a small refrigerator / freezer? This has no icemaker. I am trying to be ready for hurricane season.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
The small under-counter I have on the boat only pulls about 100 watts. That is with the fan, light and compressor running. I think it is about 4cf. or 90 beer cans and two quart boxes of ice cream.

I think Bill made the conversion in his original Barth.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
The small under-counter I have on the boat only pulls about 100 watts. That is with the fan, light and compressor running. I think it is about 4cf. or 90 beer cans and two quart boxes of ice cream.

I think Bill made the conversion in his original Barth.

The 4 cubic feet doesn't mean much to me, but I certainly can relate to the second measurement! Big Grin

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DougZ:
What size inverter (watts) would it take to run a small refrigerator / freezer? This has no icemaker. I am trying to be ready for hurricane season.
depends on the wattage of compresser.Wally 34 ft monarch van isle bc

Posts: 191 | Location: vancouver island bc | Member Since: 01-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I'm with Wally. The energy label might tell you something, but every fridge is different, even the same part number (outsourcing). Best is to buy or borrow an AC clamp on ammeter and read both start and run current. Then learn the duty cycle through observation.

Or use a Kill a watt for a day and do the numbers and add a little extra battery and inverter capacity.

A MSW inverter often works, but can shorten the life of the compressor motor. PSW inverters cost more, though.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A 500W PSW inverter should be plenty as reefers don't draw much current. Even an older one uses less than 150W. That equates to about 15A draw on a 12V battery - and about 6-8 hours max on a fully-charged battery. Since the compressor runs only part time, a single 220AH battery could possibly go a day. However, most inverters have a low-voltage cutoff around 11-11½V

IMHO, a generator is a better source of standby power. My 18 year old 5KW has about 250 hours - not just from tropical storms, but also other outages. We were out 10 days with Frances and 3 with Jeanne, but this is a rural area. And we were out 2 hours last Thursday due to Andrea.

A small generator can also come in handy when dry camping. I like the Hondas due to efficiency and low noise, but they're pricey.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I use the inverter to prevent the unintended defrost cycle when on a short cruise. We would take the boat out for about 4 to 6 hours to picnic and make a choice of listening/running the 6.5 Kohler (1800 rpm) with almost no load or defrosting the frig. Around 1996 added a Freedom 1000 which combines battery charger/inverter and replaced the frig. When traveling we are on deck so no A/C, the alternators are cranking so no battery drain from the inverter. If we anchor and bbq we may briefly fire up the genny for the microwave and a little A/C. The hot water heater has an exchanger so it generally is not looking for electrism.
To date we have not addressed nor found a need in the camper.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I do have a generator for the house, but I'm thinking of if we have to evacuate with the Airstream. It didn't come with a 3 way frig and I'm not going to spend the bucks to buy one. I'm thinking of running the inverter off the truck power if it comes to that. I have a monster deep cycle battery in the AS so that should last thru the night if we aren't driving.

W4JDZ

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The Airstream reefer, if it's the typical ~7½ cu. ft. RV model, probably has a 300W element for 120VAC.

It sounds like you're contemplating buying, or have, a residential fridge in the trailer.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
I run our 120v 7cf fridge for a few days in 90deg before having to recharge with gen. This does require every everthing at temp. When recharging batteries I turn stat to max so fridge runs. Most the time I do this in the eveninig and run the ac to cool coach down at same time.

2- 105ah batteries and 2000w mod sine inverter. The longest I have done this is a 4 day long weekend.

I do like the household fridge. dosen't seem to need to be level, cools faster, cost me less than $150.00 new and holds a bit more than R/V fridge. Not to many places that I don't have grid voltage to plug into. Would like have a 1000w Honda but like Rusty said.They're pricey.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doorman:
Would like have a 1000w Honda but like Rusty said.They're pricey.

The 2000 is not much more money, and will run a microwave and a bigger charger.

It might even run one air conditioner at lower altitudes. Mine does. It you put a Coleman Polar Cub in the bedroom, the 2000 will run it effortlessly at higher altitudes, too.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
The Airstream reefer, if it's the typical ~7½ cu. ft. RV model, probably has a 300W element for 120VAC.

It sounds like you're contemplating buying, or have, a residential fridge in the trailer.

The Airstream already has a small residential refrig and I'm going to leave it in. I have a phobia about gas and will eliminate all gas using appliances in the Airstream eventually.

W4JDZ