Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Penguins are dying (air conditioners)
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Penguins are dying (air conditioners)
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
After 24 years, my penguins are dying. They sometimes don't turn on and the heat function is failing. Anyone replace theirs? Recommended models? Are the roof holes universal? Thanks.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
YES I replaced both. ATWOOD is far and away recommended by a number on our site. Bill T, Tom Johns, Steve VW, me are all the ones that come to mind. YES the holes are universal on any thing newer.

The 72 has weird rounded holes for the fans. I didn't remove the original air. Still works so not sure what the hole is for that one.

Make sure you check when ordering you are getting what you want. Some will hide they are only selling the main upper and have to dig to make sure. If it looks to good to be true be skeptical.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Climate change ROTFLMAO

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Holes should be universal (I think it is 14 inches square)

I would also highly recommend the Atwoods. Quiet and very effective.

I don't know what kind of controls your old unit had, or if it was ducted or not. The controls can be in the unit or may use a remote thermostat.

If the controls are in the unit the new one will drop right in.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
We just put two new Coleman 15000 with heat pumps in ours. They are none ducted as we had basement air originally. We bought the inside covers with the controls built in. They are a little noisy with the fan speeds but as it turns out they have enough cooling power to cool the whole bus individually.
The rear unit will cool down the coach and you can barely hear it in the front of the coach and the same goes for the foreword unit when we are sleeping.
We bought them from camping world on sale and they were easy to install.

Ed

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Climate change ROTFLMAO

Jim

Considering the seriousness of climate change and its effects on all life, that comment was not called for. I apologize.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
To avert serious thread drift in the tech corner, I have started a climate change topic for you Jim.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add. I have two electric thermostat controlled fan vent units with new plexiglass tops and Fantastic vent covers if someone wants them. Took them out to install the AC units

Ed

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deb&Eds38:
Forgot to add. I have two electric thermostat controlled fan vent units with new plexiglass tops and Fantastic vent covers if someone wants them. Took them out to install the AC units

Ed

Ed how are the housings on the fans? How much would you want for one? Would you be able to ship one cheapest shipping method?

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Dana
No charge. I will check on the cost to send it.
Ed.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Did some research on the screen units. You have to order the gasket separately? And the internal unit sera rarely? Wtf? They don't make this easy.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Nowhere did it say anything about the seal. I ordered the gasket separate but the gasket was included with roof unit I believe. Can't guarantee still the case. There are places that sell the whole system but it is not easy to spot the right option.

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's typical for the A/C roof unit and the inside casing to be sold separately.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Incidentally, the Atwoods aren't universally perfect. I have the largest unit, non-ducted, but it has some quirks.

1. The control panel folds down from the shield. The control labels are in small print, and are dark brown on light brown.

2. My unit features a "Dry" setting, which supposedly dehumidifies. Fuggeddaboudit. When I had to move into the Barth after Irma, a nice crop of mold was already there, and I've been fighting it since.

3. The inside shield on mine sports output louvers that adjust up-and-down only. The intake louvers are integral to the shield, making cleaning very difficult.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Tea Tree Oil will get rid of mold and mildew. Been there

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post