Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Crankcase "Oil Cooler Rebuild" for 3208 Caterpillar Turbo with aftercooler
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Crankcase "Oil Cooler Rebuild" for 3208 Caterpillar Turbo with aftercooler
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted
Removal of the oil cooler is only four bolts. There are two antifreeze hoses but be sure you have drained the nearly 20 gallons of antifreeze in your Barth. If you want drain the crank case oil too. Removing the two oil filters is necessary, but not necessarily the oil in the pan, since the oil pan is lower than the oil cooler.
Here is a casting number

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Full views of the picture above where the casting number is located

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cleaned up the housing and ready for fresh paint. The housing is all aluminum.

posted Hide Post
Inside view of the cooler body

posted Hide Post
The oil flows inside this heat exchanger.

posted Hide Post
Another view of where heat exchanger that is surrounded by antifreeze. The holes are where the oil flows thru the heat exchanger

posted Hide Post
I do not believe it was leaking. It did appear that the gasket sealing the oil in may have been compromised enough to cause the oil sheen in the antifreeze test.
I will use these numbers to locate the replacement heat exchanger. Note that it has a "CAT", 'HARRISON" AND "GM" information on the unit.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
I do not believe it was leaking. It did appear that the gasket sealing the oil in may have been compromised enough to cause the oil sheen in the antifreeze test.
I will use these numbers to locate the replacement heat exchanger. Note that it has a "CAT", 'HARRISON" AND "GM" information on the unit.

Were you reading my mind? I was composing a post asking why you were doing. Asking if you had a leak.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Be sure you use only Cat brand coolant! Nothing else contains the range of lubricants and corrosion inhibitors. It is worth the extra cost.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom and Julie:
Be sure you use only Cat brand coolant! Nothing else contains the range of lubricants and corrosion inhibitors. It is worth the extra cost.
Thank you for your advice Tom. Good advice, but not for KEVIN. I am not a fan of dealer brands, (Cat, Kubota, John Deere, Case etc).
Many years ago while at a dealership. The parts man was trying to talk me into dealer branded products. There happened to be a another person there that was the owner of a supplier, wholesaler, and retailer. His statement was that dealers sell rebranded items with there dealer brand on them. Since that day I have never used dealer branded overpriced products. I can buy the same product with out rebranding for profit of the dealer. It could be antifreeze, transmission fluids, power steering fluids, hydraulic fluids, and even filters.
So NO, I will not purchase Cat rebranded fluids.
Ethylene Glycol is still produced by Dow that purchased Union Carbide some time ago. I use Ethylene Glycol in every vehicle I own and hot water boilers. I will use my own additives from other sources.
According to records from the previous owners' repairs, "CAT" branded items were not requested in the previous repairs.

posted Hide Post
There are lots of options on the internet for the oil cooler replacements. Many give a good price up front but you find they are not available. The Caterpillar dealer is near my shop. I did purchase the Caterpillar oil cooler. If your Barth with a Cat is the same age as mine, you may want to consider replacing the oil cooer before they become extinct.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom and Julie:

I had to research more about your statement. Here is what I found out. The Material data statements do not match exactly. I did find this information on the product I purchased.

Below is the Material Safety Data information.

Cat brand

COMPONENTS CAS NUMBER AMOUNT Ethylene Glycol 107-21-1 30 - 60 %weight Sodium 2-ethylhexanoate 19766-89-3 1 - 5 %weight Molybdic acid, disodium salt, dihydrate 10102-40-6 0.1 - 1 %weight

Full force Brand
ethylene glycol (CAS No) 107-21-1 90 - 97 Acute Tox. 4 (Oral), H302 diethylene glycol (CAS No) 111-46-6 < 5 Acute Tox. 4 [Oral), H302 STOT RE 2, H373 water [CAS No) 7732-18-5 < 4 Not classified potassium 2-ethylhexanoate [CAS No) 3164-85-0 < 3 Repr. 2, H361 denatonium benzoate [CAS No) 3734-33-6 30 - 50 ppm Acute Tox. 4 [Oral), H302 Skin Irrit. 2, H315 Eye Irrit. 2A, H319 STOT SE 3, H335 SECTION

If we have a chemical engineer in the membership, maybe the chemical engineer can educate the rest of us members.