Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Water heater tank leak
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Water heater tank leak
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Greetings Barth Community,
I have a water leak under the kitchen sink area somewhere around the water heater tank. It is a slow leak and I cannot tell where it is comming from. After wet vacuming the area around the base of the tank it appears to be water that is slowly seeping from the bottom of the tank. I can see two line going into the tank that are both visible and accessible, one toward the top and one toward the botttom of the tank. Would any one know what additional water lines there are around or under the tank. Perhaps some sort of diagrahm showing all water lines and connections involved with the tank would be great.
It is a five gallon tank. How is it even removed would also be a question. Thanks. JB

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Can't give you any specific information you have asked about but I can offer a tip that has helped me. Wrap strips of toilet paper around all locations and pipe in question and check on them after one minute, five minutes and every 5 or so thereafter. If it is the tank use a small digital camera to "see" behind, around the install to determine how to remove or possibly fix. Hopefully you will get a been there done that answer but for now... Good luck.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
what additional water lines there are around or under the tank.

You might have the "Motor Aid" heat exchanger. Some Barths do. java

http://www.livinlite.com/pdf/s...DEM-Installation.pdf

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses gents! Yes I do have the heat exchange system but I can't see that the water is leaking from those connections. When running the engine the lines heat up but ther pooled water remains room temp. And it is not the green color of the coolant. I am suspecting that residue at the bottom of the tank has caused some corrosion that has eroded through the bottom of the tank. The next step is disconnectiong the cold water feed and capping it off to see if the water dries up.

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
some corrosion that has eroded through the bottom of the tank

Did periodically inspect and replace the sacrificial anode? mechanic

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indeed, it was the tank leaking. Now how to replace the unit?
The fasteners on the outside are rivets. Anyone with experience uninstalling water heater tanks? Much appreciated.

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I changed mine a while back. Shut off power and gas to the coach. (Drain tank) Outside: remove wiring harness to the control module. Remove the gas line. Drill out all rivets around the unit.

Inside, you need to remove the hot and cold supply lines you found. Disconnect the 110vAC power line if you have electric heat option. If you have the engine heat option, you will have to remove and plug the engine coolant lines, which are usually attached near the tank bottom.

Loosen the sealant around the unit and pull it outside. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5186 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve! Indeed I will remove all of the items you've mentioned save for the 110 line which I do not have.
What size drill bit did you use to drill the rivets?
And I assume you used regular fasteners with the replacement heater.
Jack

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I drilled the heads off and punched the rivets through. I think they are 3/16. Use closed aluminum rivets, aluminum mandrel to replace the originals. The engine coolant lines on the bottom were the worst to get at in my coach. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5186 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve! Yeah, looks like to coolant line will be a bear!
Jack

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis