Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    rear furnace wont stay ignited
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

rear furnace wont stay ignited
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Capt Bob
posted
bedroom(rear)furnace ignites for about 3 seconds then shuts off, mid and front furnance works fine along with hot water heater,,,, Capt Bob

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Posts: 115 | Location: West Central Florida | Member Since: 10-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Not a mechanic nor rocket scientist, but it sounds-like it could be the CONTROL BOARD or THERMOCOUPLE.

Does it actually fire-up and make and blow heat -or- does the fan just run for a short period, then shut-down???

I think one of mine just ran for a while [fan], but never fired-up, then shut-down ...the control board was the culprit.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
Check for dirt daubers in the burn tube

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A boring exposé of how those things work.

There's a time-delay relay that's the first thing to energize. It activates the control board and the fan. The fan, with enough pressure, operates a "sail switch" (activated by a damper-like thingy that opens in airflow and contacts the microswitch), which signals the control board that there's enough air circulation for safe ignition, and then the control board initiates that sequence. When the thermostat cuts off the flame, the time-delay relay runs the fan for 20-30 seconds to cool the hotbox.

Because the unit is shutting down in about 3 seconds, that would suggest the sail switch is bad, causing the control board to shut the system down. It's inexpensive, but the unit has to be pulled to access it. RV dealers have a tester for control boards, and most will test yours for free. Check the control board, but I suspect the sail swtich or its connection is bad.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Capt Bob
posted Hide Post
it does ignite for a few seconds and then shuts off flame, fan still runs good, we just fired up furnance for the first time at the GTG, worked fine for a couple or three times then strted acting up, i will try everyones suggestions and let you know.. Thanks Capt Bob

Capt Bob
1984 35ft Regency
MCC chassis
8.2 Detroit Turbo

Posts: 115 | Location: West Central Florida | Member Since: 10-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
This sounds-like what mine had been doing

...worked fine [other-than the squeeling motor] ...then statrted the intermittent thing that you describe ...then would not "fire" at all any longer [the fan would just run for a bit, then shut down].

Unfortunately, I had the motor replaced just prior to the control board failure.

...it's always something with $$$ attached to it.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It could be the thermocouple - I'd try a known good one from another furnace. If not that, try another control board. If the thermocouple doesn't transmit a "heat-detected" signal to the control board, it shuts down the gas.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post