Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Kool-O-Matic Fan
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Kool-O-Matic Fan
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted
I have not yet done a ton of research on this subject.

Was curious if anyone has any information on Kool-O-Matic Fans(?)

I know they are not made any longer and that you can't purchase the exact replacement motor.

My problem is the selector switch.

It is fairly corroded from exposure to the elements and the internal copper contacts are worn-down to almost nothing.

I could probably clean-it-up and lubricate the innards just a little, but would like to replace.

I know these fans burn a ton of amps on high speed (8.5) and are probably considered as very inefficient, but they do move a lot more air than a standard 14" RV fan.

It's a weird switch made by INDAK, but am not finding a direct replacement on any INDAK sites.

It is a 4-position switch (off-Lo-med-hi), with 2 externally mounted wire-coil "resistors" (I am assuming to dissipate heat due to the high amperage resistance on low and medium speeds).

...it's a strange-looking switch...

I will probably replace this fan in the future, but is not at the top of the "to-do" list at this point.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I might have it... picture please Smiler

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill...

Reading previous posts indicate you had 3 Kool-O-Matics in your first Barth.

I am sorry to admit that I am still photo illiterate, but working-on-it.

I hate to inconvenience you, but if you Google: kool-o-matic-fan-replacement-parts (with hyphens), you will find the first hit to have a photo of the switch.

Scroll down to the 2nd photo and you will find a clear image of the selector switch I am seeking.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Medic37:
Scroll down to the 2nd photo and you will find a clear image of the selector switch I am seeking.
Is this the one?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir ...that's the one...

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Would this work for you?

http://www.nostalgicairparts.c...r-fan-switch-331.php

In reality, this is nothing to retrofit.

Get a rotary blower motor switch and install a resistor pack. You can get 2,3,4,5 speeds by doing it that way.

They even make a variable control unit with a resistor built into the switch.

One wire in for HOT - The other wire to the motor. If you go this route, remove the bulb as it's just drawing power.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintag..._Accessories&vxp=mtr

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
If this is a Rheostat, then it should have an infinite number of "speeds" by turning the dial "slow to fast - fast to slow" ...is this correct?

And are you saying I would need to install some sort of resistors with this(?)...

...or would the coil in the Rheostat handle both the job of resistance and dissipating heat?

This would probably work, provided the knob (and light) can be pulled off the end and the the long stem from the original switch can be attached to the shaft.

Or possibly the switch could be mounted to the grate-cover with a set of plugs on the the wires for quick disconnect capability in the event the fan requires service.

The ebay seller seems fairly liberal on his return policy, so I guess I could order this unit and return-it if it does not fit the intended application.

Thanks for the lead on this. I might also continue to pursue searching for the original selector switch.

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Medic37:
I might also continue to pursue searching for the original selector switch.
Is there a hidden camera somewhere? hmm Big Grin

I take it you missed my first link? D'oh

No worries... here it is again. Wink
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
Would this work for you?

http://www.nostalgicairparts.c...r-fan-switch-331.php
In regards to the eBay switch - yes, it is a variable rheostat made for blower motors. You're right - there would be an infinite number of speeds.

In regards to the 2,3,4,5 speeds - I was making a statement that a regular heater motor switch coupled to a resistor pack for automotive heating & a/c would work the same - you would have set speeds - if you reverse the polarity you could get it to blow inward.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Yep ...I totally missed-it! D'oh

Got hung-up-on the photo and the ebay link below it.

Sorry about that! No hidden cameras.

Great Find! Thank-you very much Bill!

...sometimes I just get a bit ahead of myself... head bang

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
It's funny how the Commercial Barth is wired in. It has the fan speed controller mounted to the wall and only works on LO & HI. The resistors pack is still attached to my fan controller mounted behind the grill. That dial assy, without the long shaft, is still there but the wires are supplied to the wall mounted unit.

Basically, in my setup, the fan switch is just there to hold the resistors. So, my switches (all 3 of them) have never been used.

If you strike out Ed - I could take your switch, and mount it behind my grill, and send you my switch and still have full function on my Kool-O -Matics.

I just went down to my Barth and removed the cover to take these pics for you - just an option "In Case"

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
That's too weird, as my coach has a thermostat thingy that looks similar to yours, but it has an: ON-OFF-AUTO switch on it.

The switch on the fan itself is an: OFF-LOW-MED-HI.

So, in order to change the speed on my fan, you have to use the overhead selector switch.

My "selector" looks to be in about the same physical condition as yours, however it's the internal parts that are the problem; probably from 23 years of flipping back and forth.

I will check the vendor that you have posted and see if they have this switch in stock.

Thanks for the photos and all the help!

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Found these sitting in our upload area... there's probably a story behind them. Mac, did you send these?

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/16
posted Hide Post
We have the original paperwork on this for our '85, not remote (manual only).

If anyone needs it, just holler. We can scan it but don't know how to post if so we will need help.

Posts: 77 | Location: IN | Member Since: 09-30-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/16
posted Hide Post
From some researching on Google, I found this reference to these fans in other applications and blogs.

This is the company that produced these motors for the Bluebird Wanderlust buses; both ceiling and kitchen hoods. Maybe some luck here for replacing motors or cross referencing the motors.

Harold AG & Mobile Products
WWW.HECO.NET
located in Walla Walla Washington.
(800) 541-8910

Posts: 77 | Location: IN | Member Since: 09-30-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Here is the manual from Regal Blue:

kOOLMATIC INSTALL

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post