Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Amount of freon?
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Amount of freon?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Anyone know how much R12 freon is required in a Breakawy. The guy that does my A/C put in 2 lbs pressure is correct and is blowing cold, seems very small quantity since the compressor is at the back along with the condenser, 30 ft of tubing should require a fair amount but--

thanks

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's probably R134a...

Anyway, I had the same issue, and the problem was that the vacuum line to the inside/outside air flapper was deterorated - on mine it's a blue plastic line, and the outside section was toast.

There was plenty of extra of the blue plastic, so I pulled it through the firewall to a good section, cut it off, and used rubber vaccuum hose from that spot to the actuator.

The actuator is in the genset compartment, passender side. The inside air return is under the dash, passenger side, if it's like mine.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope it is R12, we tested that before we evacuated the system and refilled.

I double checked the actuators and vacumm lines and all was well, the sight glass was filled with bubbles and there was a lot of air in the system when it was evacuated.

There were very slight signs of leaking Shrader valves on the compressor so we will see how well it goes now. After refill of the system, it blows nice and COLD!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Cool! (So to speak...)

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I just finished converting over to 134a and was similarly surprised at how little it took. Did you happen to replace the filter/dryer?
Tom

Posts: 25 | Location: bardstown, ky | Member Since: 05-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't replace the dryer/filter or the expansion valve at this time. I plane to do so later. I am looking into the possibility of completely re-doing the HVAC system in the Barth and will convert to R134 also.

My plan is to add an evaporator in the rear hallway area so that in the high heat areas I would have enough cooling that I don't have to run the roof airs/generator while going down the road.

Will be my fall project.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater