Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    12 VDC Air Compressors
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

12 VDC Air Compressors
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
Like all coaches without an engine compressor, my Barth uses a 12 VDC air compressor for the horns.

I've had 2½ Hadleys (2 motor failures and a cylinder rebuild). The end cap kept popping off, allowing dirt into the crankcase. The Hadley pictured had a seized rotor. So I decided to get a Viair instead. The Hadley has a 23% duty cycle; the Viair, 100%. The Viair includes a replaceable air filter that can be mounted remotely, a built-in check valve, and a flexible discharge hose.

The Hadley cost $188.76 + shipping. The Viair 350C was $189 + shipping (although I got mine on Amazon for $179.95 with free shipping).

Hadley on the left; air filter is circled. Viair on the right - the grey canister is the air filter holder.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The new compressor is installed; it pumps up the horn system in about one-fourth the time.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
WOW. I like the 100% duty cycle. Not only does that promise some modicum of durability, but it would be good for airing up my 4WD after running around at 8-12 psi.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It certainly pumps up faster than the typical 12 VDC portable (has a 15A draw) from an auto parts or WallyWorld.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Rusty I found a nice ViAir 12v compressor for an onboard air system for Barth. Pressure switch, old Freon tank, gauge and some fittings and the system is mostly complete. mechanic

Decided to mount it under the sofa. There is space there and the 12V power box is close for power.

I will wire it to the heavy 12V supply. For now I'll run air hose to it to use it.

Eventually, I will install phase 2:

I will plumb an on board air system, with air available in gen compartment and other side basement, also a line to the front for air horns, a dedicated regulator for the tag axle air bags, and air for tires, etc. I will have a driver's panel switch and pressure gauge to control the system. Tooling Along

I'll post phase 2 soon.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5177 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nice work! I currently have the gauge on the local manifold now, but I plan to tee it off the tank, which is in the genny compartment (up front), and move it to the dash. Gotta figure out where to put it, as the dash is getting full...

BTW, the Hadleys are set up for ~135 psi, so you may need to reset the cutout switch and put in a new gauge.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The cutout is set about 125 psi, (that gauge is not happy!) I'll eventually have a proper gauge up on the panel. Thanks again for the research on the air pump, good ones are hard to find!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5177 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
Great looking job! 100% duty cycle on the air pump is fantastic how long is the run time to fill tank to pressure?

Is your pressure switch adjustable? Where are you planning on mounting air horns?

Real nice setup!

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I haven't checked the fill time... I'll get back to you. The switch I have is not adjustable, it is set at 105 to 125 psi. There are adjustable ones available.

The horns are already on the top of the coach above the driver. They came with the rig! That's what got me started on this air system.

The original system had a Rube Goldberg vacuum driven air compressor running off the engine manifold vacuum. It was hooked to a small (about 1 qt) reservoir tank. Nothing worked. head bang

I hooked the line from the horns to an air line and a cloud of crud flew out, followed by raspy noises, followed by HORNS!!! I was hooked... Big Grin

Meanwhile my tag axle air bags depend on a very cheesy little belt driven compressor waiting to fail... again. The drive axle air bags also need air now and then, and tires, impact wrench, etc... I wanted an onboard system to cover all bases.

Then my buddy (?) Rusty comes along with this fancy sweet compressor a while back... nono

I couldn't stand it... mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
You definitely have a sweet setup. Thumbs Up

Ahh it's great to already have the horns there, mine I would need to mount the horns and than find a path for the air line. Well I quess I could buy one of those portable handheld air horns and use that when I want to sound cool. hmm

haha NOT!

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom & Loraine:
You definitely have a sweet setup. Thumbs Up
Nice job Steve!!! Thumbs Up

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Finally got around to hooking up the air system.

To my surprise, there were 2 spare breakers in the 12 V power box! I wired the compressor to one of them. Thumbs Up

I ran a temporary 1/4 air line through the floor to the front end. It attaches to a tee with the air horn solenoid out the top. The side leg goes to a small regulator and out to the rear tag axle air bags. (The regulator limits the pressure to the bags, they can't stand over 50 psi) mechanic

I finally retired the old air bag compressor. I promised it to Jeff and Joy for a spare.

You should hear them Hadley air horns! confusion
Eventually I will plumb in larger steel lines and some air chucks for attaching hoses to inflate tires, etc. Also I would like to install an air pressure gauge and switch on the instrument panel. mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp