Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    1970 Barth
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1970 Barth
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hey i have a 70 barth with the gm 350 in it... blew my radiator... will a stock gm 350 radiator work? or is there something funky bout the motors they put in the barths?

Posts: 1 | Location: Barth | Member Since: 11-03-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
First off, welcome to the site. We would love to see a few pictures of your Barth.

Do you have a tag on your vehicle that looks like this?

What is the numbers of this tag?

This one says 711899MC

What is your vin#? That is on the tag that looks like this or on your registration.

For 1970, I am pretty sure, the radiator is the same as the breadtruck chassis. Have you taken measurements of the old radiator?

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
Have you taken measurements of the old radiator?
I asked this, but then realized you might not know how to get a usable measurement. So, I thought I would post how you go about doing this.

Is this a DOWNFLOW or CROSSFLOW radiator?

What is the height and width of the core?

What is the core thickness?

This one might be the one that you need - let me know if this seems right.

Crossflow Radiator
Radiator Core Size : 26 3/8"h x 17"w x 1 1/4" (2 Row)
Radiator Inlet Connector Size : 1 9/16" Top Left
Radiator Inlet Header Size : 2 3/4" x 18 5/8"
Radiator Mount Type : Channel
Radiator Outlet Connector Size : 1 3/4" Bottom Right
Radiator Outlet Header Size : 2 3/4"x 18 5/8"

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Isaak:
Hey i have a 70 barth with the gm 350 in it... blew my radiator... will a stock gm 350 radiator work? or is there something funky bout the motors they put in the barths?

There is really no such thing as a stock GM 350 radiator. The 350 chev was used in so many different vehicles for so many purposes that you could go crazy.

Best is probably to have yours recored by a good radiator shop who uses USA parts. Any extra money spent for an upgrade on the core could be a benefit, particularly if you tow or climb. Many replacement radiators are low quality imports.

A bread truck radiator is likely to fit, but some MH builders ordered a heavier duty radiator from GM when the chassis was ordered. Some did that for all, some did it for none, and some did it for some, depending on length, engine, air conditioning, and whatever.

Remember that even though a short MH with a smaller engine, the trans still puts a lot of heat into the radiator through the heat exchanger.

While you have the radiator out, BE SURE to replace the short hose from the water pump up to the intake manifold. That hose is a bear to replace out on the road. I use a steel reinforced hose from West Marine to be sure it lasts a long time.

It would also be money well spent to replace the water pump while the radiator is out, as well. Consider a high volume pump. If you buy an ordinary pump, do not buy one with a stamped sheet metal impeller. Insist on a cast iron one. There is a big difference in flow and how well they stay on the shaft.

Also check the trans cooler lines for rubbing. They can wear through toward the front.

If the nut on the fuel line to your carb is mistreated, now is the time to replace the line. It will never be easier. Anything other than a flare nut wrench or flare nut crowfoot is a leak waiting to happen.

Since you will need to remove the fan clutch, consider a GM replacement now. They don't last a real long time, and starting out Barth ownership with a new one can be good.

See how good I am at spending other people's money? Smiler

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post