Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    X pipe and catalitic converters
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

X pipe and catalitic converters
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted
Now that I have the thorleys I am thinking of going all the way back with stainless. This brings up a few thoughts.
1) I was thinking of 3" all the way but I thought I read in another thread that 2.5 was better.
2) This came with no catalytic converters. I thought I could add 3" universal freeflow (Summit) then 3" freeflow mufflers and then all the way in the back cris crossing behind the rear axle one of those Duramax freeflow X mufflers.
3) The thought is a lot of freeflow items X pipe all the way back, lots of torque, cooler running and cleaner air.
4) Any problems with any of this?
Thanks, Lloyd. 1987 33' P32ish 454 carb w/tag

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
...all the way in the back cris crossing behind the rear axle one of those Duramax freeflow X mufflers.

My understanding is: to get the "crossover" (X-pipe) benefits the crossover, whether "H" or "X", should be up front, as close to the engine as possible, and definitely ahead of the mufflers. Even "free-flow" mufflers will change -slow- the exhaust, and the benefit of the crossover is the suction it provides.
Thorley headers already scavenge the exhaust; that is one of their several selling points (I had a set way back, on a '68 AMX, and the difference was dramatic).

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is what I thought until I asked some questions about X pipes in another thread. Then it came up that the further back the greater the benefit?? Which I hope is true.
(If you are fabricating your own X-pipe, a tip is to place the X-pipe union as far to the rear of the car as physically possible—it will make more power that way.)
Since then I have read with H pipes the closer to the motor is most benifical.
That bring up another question. If the X pipe works better more towards the rear, does it have to be before the mufflers and/or catalytic converters?
I guess more research is in order. Thanks Lloyd

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just noticed I did not make myself clear on the part of adding catalytic converters? I am not sure if this vehicle had them originally or not. Is there any problem adding a set of large free flow converters to this vehicle?