Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Entrance Grab Handle
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Entrance Grab Handle
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted
I recently replaced my burnt out bulb and replaced it with the same # 163 bulb. You could see the glow of the bulb during the day so I thought I was good to go. At the Hillsbourgh GTG I turned on the light after dark and was expecting a nice soft glow. Instead, Sully could have landed his airplane in the light. Needless to say the bulb didn't last but a few hours, Does anyone know the correct bulb # for the grab handle ??

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carlflack:
I recently replaced my burnt out bulb and replaced it with the same # 163 bulb. You could see the glow of the bulb during the day so I thought I was good to go. At the Hillsbourgh GTG I turned on the light after dark and was expecting a nice soft glow. Instead, Sully could have landed his airplane in the light. Needless to say the bulb didn't last but a few hours, Does anyone know the correct bulb # for the grab handle ??

quote:
Originally posted by carlflack:
I could not locate a #67 after trying several auto stores so I settled for a #63 bulb ( told it was a "crossover" bulb). Bill H states it is a lower voltage. So I'll wait till tonight and see how much darkness gets sucked out of the handle.

"Don't let it be forgot, that once there was a spot, for one brief shining moment that was known as Carl's Handle"

With apologies to Lerner and Lowe.

Which did you put in, a 63 or 163?

Perhaps your original was a 631.

What is the diameter of your bulb base?

Is it a single contact bayonet or screw-in?

Mine is a screw in, but All Barths Are Different.

If yours is a single contact bayonet, get thee to a parts store and match the base to a bunch of 12-14 volt bulbs and buy one of each. Or just guess. My own guessing would consider that the handle light is not the patio light, which would incline me to chose a low current bulb. But, that is just personal preference.

Lots of older cars use a single contact bayonete bulb as a license plate light.

Does the bulb from your license plate light or step light fit?

Napa carries both 67 and 631. Checker/Schucks/Kragen/O'Reilly carries the 67.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you accidentally, or intentionally, stuck a 6 volt bulb in there ....I could have sworn the handle bulb was a 57 or 1897???

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.