Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    kwikee electric step wiring
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

kwikee electric step wiring
 Login now/Join our community

<ann and peggy>
posted
I'm having a problem with my electric step not working correctly off the ignition switch. A wiring diagram I have shows that a yellow wire is connected to the ignition switch. This wire tests as always hot, even with the ignition turned off. Ergo, it makes the step act as if the ignition is always on, and also tends to run the battery down over time. I cannot find where in the ignition scheme of things this yellow wire terminates after it leaves the step. Does anyone know????? I currently have it cut and we control things from the wall switch only. This would only be a problem if we forget to retract it before driving off.

------------------

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Ann and Peggy,
The step on my 91 breakaway has a group of 4 wires, yellow, red, green and brown going into the body near the step, and coming out in the electrical compartment. They are grouped together in a 'sleeve' and are easily identified. You can then easily trace where the yellow wire goes. If it goes to an 'always on' breaker, you can move it to a keyed breaker. In my unit, all the breakers in a 'bank' are the same, whether they are all 'on' all the time, or are energized when the key is turned on. You can use a test probe and see which 'bank' of breakers is energized with the key on, and dead with the key off.

I don't know how similar our units are, but that is how mine is set up, and I suspect the steps are all wired the same. If you have any questions, I will try to answer them. If you prefer, you may send a message to me at stctom@yahoo.com

I hope this helps,

Tom

Posts: 57 | Location: Washington DC | Member Since: 03-11-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<GyreneSix>
posted
Hi Ann and Pegs,

Ignition wire is live so that your step will extend when you first open the door even after turning off the ignition key. The best way to make sure you don't drain the battery is to rewire the step switch (by the door) to cut off all power to the step with the switch off. (Don't forget to retract steps before you drive away, though)

Cheers,

Nick

Reply With QuoteReport This Post