Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Master Cylinder
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Master Cylinder
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
I'm looking to replace my Master Cylinder in the Barth.

Has anyone replaced their Master Cylinder that has an Oshkosh Chassis?

If you have any info or source for these parts please let me know.

My local Freightliner Garage has been stumped...

Chassis VIN:4CDB5XGR3M2103187

UNIT ID:9102 3709 33S-12

As always, thanks for any help Smiler

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Have you been able to see a part number on it?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
You might try taking it to Napa. A few weeks ago i needed to replace the rubber gasket in the master cylinder of my 1959 Ford truck. One problem that i had was that i had no idea how old that cylinder was or what it came off of... (the truck was completly redone about 10 years ago by somebody else). All i took in was the gasket but i will be darned if they didn't have a book that showed different gaskets and we searched till we found one that was almost identical. I thought at the time that i might just have to buy a whole new cylinder to solve my problem. I am sure they will have a book for the cylinders too so you can match it up to the one you need. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow man:
You might try taking it to Napa... Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Yeah, I was going to do that as a final resort. I was trying to order this instead of stripping it off and matching it up.

Thanks for your good wishes and I'll post my saga (woes) when I embark on my trek...

I got real excited when fellow member Relative turned me onto this at Yahoo Auctions but further reading revealed that this book only does the 4 & 6 cylinder models. Frowner Thanks for trying!
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Have you been able to see a part number on it?
Without you thinking that I'm being a wise a@@ I just don't know how to answer that one Rusty. Wink Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
We have a very old mechanic locally who specializes in working on older light and medium trucks - I figured I'd run whatever markings (which is what I meant to say in the original post, not part number) you might have seen, by him. He even knows about generators (including 6V systems), vacuum-operated windshield wipers, and manual chokes... Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I have an answer - with the help of fellow member Relative I have been able to track down the correct number...
quote:
Originally posted by Relative on another Barthmobile thread:

Browsed around the Yahoo Groups ... and discovered a Freightliner group (FCOC), and since they also cover Oshkosh and John Deere, browsed through it a bit. Found the following statement:

"If a Freightliner wiring diagram is what you need, you should give FCCC customer support a call at 1-800-385-4357 (8:am-6:00pm est) and they can supply you with one. (I always try not to call between 11:30 and 1:00 due to their lunch schedule). They will fax, mail, or e-mail it to you. You just need to make sure you have the last six digits of your chassis vin number available, 17 digit number starting with 4UZ for freightliner and 4CD for Oshkosh...
So, with that info I contacted the 800 number and was pleasantly surprised to get someone who would look up a 16+ year old chassis information from a company that they bought out.

The part number has been changed several times but with help from Freightliner we were able to determine that a Bendix:
BW 011999 or a BDX 011999 would fit.

Called up NAPA and they crossed this over to a 11999 NAPA. The cost to me is $258.59 with a retail cost of $493.67 - this part is new and does not have a core charge.

Thank you Mike for leading me in the correct direction. Smiler

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I received my Master Cylinder on Monday.

"Napa/United Brake Parts"
New part# 39577.

The only difference in the part from Barth to the Napa replacement is the reservoir housing. The original part has a plastic housing and the Napa replacement has an aluminum reservoir.

Should be installing it in the next few days, will keep you posted.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N.Y.:
...I'll post my saga (woes) when I embark on my trek...
The journey continues.

The 39577 has a female JIC fitting tapped into it. That is not the correct part number. Napa is now sending me a 39528 master cylinder with a flare seat for a double flare steel line.

Looks like I jinxed myself earlier on. Big Grin

No more posts about this til I get back from vacation... It just wasn't meant to be Frowner

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
The journey is now completed. There was a few more problems. I received a call from Napa telling me the correct master cylinder was in. They ran it down and dropped it off Monday 4/2. I was on vacation so I pulled it out of the box the following weekend 4/14 and found that the reservoir was 3x the height of the original one.

Well, if any of you have added brake fluid to your Barth, you'll agree that there is no room to put on a taller master cylinder. Napa sent me another cylinder but the fittings on one of the ports was too small. The counterman allowed me to strip the one master cylinder and swap over the reservoirs.

So, today was the day that I installed my master cylinder. If you use the "39528 master cylinder" you will need to also order a reservoir that will fit. I used less then a gallon of brake fluid and had it mounted and bleed out in about 45 minutes.

Sadly, my Barth sat all winter. I would have liked to have taken her out for a spin once a month. It started up within 8-10 seconds of cranking. I was glad it didn't fire off right away. After it built up oil psi it started up.

March 28 to May 10 for a Master Cylinder. Not too bad considering poor Susan Richardson plight.

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
When I read the trials of Bill & Susan, and owners of other relatively exotic coaches, I'm glad I have a humble, simple, P30 chassis that almost any small town Chevy truck mechanic can service & find parts for.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with Ol'Roy.... A couple of weeks after we bought our 34T the master cylinder was obviously shot..One trip to NAPA and I had one in my greasy little hand.. It was fiberglass and I wasn't too happy about that, but it fit right on and when I opened the last fitting on the rear axle to let the fluid drain through, it has worked flawlessly... I always yearned for one of those really nice Ford Chassis, but the practicallity and inexpensive cost of the P30's has always worked for me..... and we drive a F-150 and a Lincoln TownCar, so don't say I'm a Chevy Guy.. Studebaker's Rule!!

Posts: 114 | Location: Skamania, WA, USA | Member Since: 07-21-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I guess I could have changed the fittings over...

I post this information so others with the John Deere/Oshkosh chassis have better luck in the future. I wanted a drop in replacement so others could have the info without getting themselves hurt by putting the wrong one in. Who wants a ruined vacation because it took a repair shop over a week to get a replacement master cylinder?

I'm just happy that this wasn't something I needed right away. It's scary to think that it made it thru the mountains of PA on the way to Pocono and back several times and I never had a problem.

I went to park it for the winter and I wound up driving onto the wet grass and causing deep tire ruts. The wife was very upset with the way the grass looked until I pointed out that I was still alive.

She then said something under her breath and gave me a hug Big Grin. I still don't know what she said. But, for tearing up the grass, I was pleasantly surprised at her reaction later that nite... Aawwhh. Red Face

Oh yeah, in case you wanted to know, the grass is ok now too. Wink

8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Spartan Chassis
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis