Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    1984 28', first MH Newbie Question(s)
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1984 28', first MH Newbie Question(s)
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I'm looking at an '84 with 55K miles on the clock. 454 power plant that starts and runs smoothly. Three-speed tranny that revs to around 4K before shifting (25MPH, then 45MPH). Is this "normal"? There seems to be a LOT of engine noise inside the coach also. Is there any kind of sound insulation package that folks install or replace in older units?

Anyone willing to discuss the coach's value and/or what failure points to look for while I'm in the evaluation stage, please talk to me on the side. According to the present (2nd) owner, all systems with the exception of the dash heat works. It has a new fridge, good tires, awning and 7KW Kohler gen package.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Hi Ron,

Thanks for visiting the site. You didn't say the length of your coach. They made so many 28 footers in 1984-85 so I will assume that. I don't think they made many 31-footers until 1988 or so. As far as how much you should pay. I have seen them as low as $10K (in tough condition) and as much as $20K. You probably shouldn't pay more than $15K and $13K would be even better. We paid $15K for our 1985 almost 3 years ago.

Your RPMs sound about right. And yes you can do much to cut the noise.

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunu...56&src=SRCH&tcode=37

When you check out your coach or when you buy it. I would go straight to a mechanic and have all hoses and belts check. Check your oil twice as much as you think you should. And, I suggest this because of my own harrowing experience. Has someone check your fron wheel bearings.

When you get close, feel free to email me and I will give you my phone number and we will chat....

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited November 13, 2002).]

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info and thanks for providing this site. I know you are all a bit pre-disposed , but it sure helps hearing from actual owners. The links to various parts and info sources is great.

If it's still there tomorrow, I'm going to buy it. (BTW: it's a 28 ft unit).

Posts: 283 | Location: Huntsville, AL USA | Member Since: 11-13-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post