Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Loss of Electric
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Loss of Electric
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Rusty, so sorry you're going through all of those medical and dental issues. As if the rain isn't enough

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Medical issues are over, except for a minor thing or two.

Almost got the new relay installed - contacts are connected, mount's been modified, but the thunderstorms made me defer connecting the coil until tomorrow. Everything left is about 15 minutes' worth.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Yeah!

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Just an observation of a car builder - you can relocate ALL relays and fuses to a convenient point anywhere in the coach and then use GM style WeatherPak connectors for all wiring and you will never have to crawl around or remove stuff to work on your electrical. Sort of the system used in the air system - the only connectors are at the compressor, the drier, and the air bags/ brakes. There is nothing to chase except a leaking or broken line. Even the dump valves are easy and they can be anywhere you want them so by re-engineering the systems you take out the failure points. Easier than constantly having to disassemble your coach.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Pretty much what I'm doing here. I had to disassemble the genset enclosure because this relay was in a box with a slideout cover - obstructed by the enclosure.

Even without the box cover, the relay was hard to reach, so I removed the front panel of the box, discarded the cover, and moved the whole thing up 1¼" to where it's unobstructed. And the new marine (sealed) relay is several times the needed capacity.

Most of the other relays are in a large enclosure in the battery compartment; a few light-duty ones are in the dash.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Medical issues are over, except for a minor thing or two.

E X C E L L E N T Wink cheers Thumbs Up

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Awoke yesterday to thunderstorms, which continued all morning. Radar and the weatherguesser predicted lines of storms all afternoon, so I decided to make the shopping trip planned for today. Naturally, after 2 PM, we had near cloudless skies.

It worked out for the best (80°/cloudy vs 94°/sunny yesterday) as I just about finished the relay install today - tested and loosely mounted. All that remains is to tighten the mount and reroute the coil ground wire. And to reassemble the genset enclosure.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Done! Mechanic Thumbs Up Big Grin

Fittingly, tightened the last nut in a light rain...

Breaking one of the coil posts on the old relay was fortuitous, as it gave me the incentive to redo the entire assembly, making it accessible with the generator enclosure intact.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Good labor on Labor Day, congrats!

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm not alone with wire problems fix directionals then then horn quit fixed that then step quit then the fridge got warm Quietly I got the gen working got two months till ralle should be able to have drivers seat clear of wires see ya'all in Dec

Posts: 6 | Location: Cocoa Fl. 32927 | Member Since: 08-08-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's going to take me longer to cart the tools back to the workshop and stow them than the time spent on the actual repair...some items belong to the light-duty toolbox in the bedroom, others in the tool basement.

Naturally, reassembling the generator enclosure requires a whole different set.

And I still have to, at least temporarily, fix the P/S-P/B-Hydroboost issue enough to get it to the shop.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
At least they aren't a mix of standard and metric tools.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Done! Mechanic Thumbs Up Big Grin

Fittingly, tightened the last nut in a light rain...

Breaking one of the coil posts on the old relay was fortuitous, as it gave me the incentive to redo the entire assembly, making it accessible with the generator enclosure intact.

Way to go!!

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Got the P/S-P/B-Hydroboost sorted out, and went shopping for hurricane supplies (actually, just dog food and topping off the last gas can).

BTW, the new gas cans have to have a safety trigger so that it won't pour until the valve is opened. I returned two different designs, because they failed to work, but found one at Tractor supply that .

The nearest Walmart is already out of water and most snacks. There was a long (20 cars) line at Walmart's gas station, ad the one on my way home was out of gas, all grades. The local one had gas, no line (until I pulled out, then about 8 cars.

Being ahead of schedule, I'll do some optional shopping tomorrow.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
I am assuming you are not heading farther north. Good luck and we hope you have good shelter.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post