Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Loss of Electric
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Loss of Electric
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I retrofitted my house for 130 MPH winds, including a partial wrap around CB wall, so the boys and I will shelter in place. No need for a needless evacuee to clog the roads.

Depending on where Irma goes, I may move the Barth up the driveway away from the tree line. Enough rain and all the vehicles go up the drive, as the low point in my yard is one leg of the driveway.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I hope all went went...when you get power sure would like to hear from you!!!! Bless!

Posts: 2056 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Didn't go all that well - never had water in the house before, but had 5'!

Got the minivan and Barth up the drive, but the chevy van was trapped. I watched radar until 4 AM, and the river wasn't even up into the yard, after a slow crawl. Plan was to hook up the cargo trailer around 7, and pull up the drive. At 7 AM, the dogs woke me up; there were 2 " of water in the bedroom (downstairs). Got the dogs up to the Barth, and the emergency totes up into the woods. By the time I retrieved the last tote, water in the house was knee-deep.

I had filled the Barth water tank, but found I have a leak somewhere, and discovered it after turning the pump on - soaked the carpet in the BR. Still haven't located the leak. So the boys and I are living on water jugs and sponge baths.

After a week of having to drive out to the highway to make a cell phone (Sprint/Consumer Cellular) call (no bars here), I switched to today to Verizon - 3 bars and the wi-fi hotspot is 4G. Sprint's hotspot was spotty and dialup speed.

Anyway, we're safe, and compared to many, many people, living in luxury with satellite, A/C (generator), Internet, and food.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sloop John B
posted Hide Post
I haven't been on the site for sometime and the first thing I read was your latest post of life after Irma. So glad you made it but with some losses. We will keep you in our prayers.

JKB

88 28' Regal 454
Blue/Silver metalflake

Posts: 706 | Location: 103 miles west of Milford & 1.75 Miles from Lincoln oasis on I-80 | Member Since: 01-05-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Long way to come but your always welcome in front of the house, have a long 30 amp cord waiting for you. Come to the harbor and we can do the same, 50 amp if need be.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the offer! I have to stay nearby for the insurance adjusters...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I'm so sorry about what you are going through. I was in Punta Gorda Sunday and Monday rescuing a Barth. That city was spared much damage. It sounds like your house may not be livable for some time--will keep you in my prayers.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that news Rusty. I hope everything works out as well as possible.

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!

Remediation gut was here today (a benefit of having owned an insurance agency is to know who to call...and get prompt response).

Flood insurance adjuster comes tomorrow. Vehicles adjuster Friday when he can get his car in.

Plugged in at a neighbor's glad the generator is silent.

I've lost ground on repairs - most of the work that was needed was done before Irma - but now low beam headlights don't work (may have disturbed a wire, dash vent blower doesn't work, and the Atwood A/C with a "Dryer" mode, didn't, and there's light mildew.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quinn:
Sorry to hear that news Rusty. I hope everything works out as well as possible.

I do too -- one step at a time -- SO MANY challenges.

I've had a number of job offers to be a storm trooper, for Harvey and Irma damage. But, never liked storm duty when I was younger. not about to do it now.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post