Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Loss of Electric
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Loss of Electric
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Actually, her most famous assessment was, "It's always something!"

I had a thread on that...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
She got that right. ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

Trying to get a new concrete driveway done. (Dirt driveway until now.) All set to go, concrete and excavation crews scheduled. Miss Dig sends gas co out to mark their pipe along the right of way, under the driveway. Oh, Oh, turd fairy!

Gas co says "Oh we have to dig up that line and replace something before you can pour the driveway." ???? confusion (I don't have gas service to my place!) We can have the crew out here the END OF NEXT WEEK! So much for the contractor's schedules...

The main line was installed 25 years ago along the road. Never been touched since. Why it needs work just now is vexing. Oh well.

Good luck with your electrical/mechanical gremlins

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
On reflection, I think the power boost problem is low fluid. I've had the issue before, and the parking brake actuator had an internal leak, allowing it to blow fluid our the reservoir vent. The reservoir was too full when I checked before moving the coach up the driveway, a symptom.

Once again rain and lightning have delayed all work...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Rusty, you are a study in perseverance. I would have just grabbed the Titos and turned on PBS.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I have no more than 30 minutes of electrical work and then another hour modding the genset cover. Looked good today, gave the dogs their morning treats, headed for the door, and it rained for 45 minutes.

Hopefully it'll be dry enough late afternoon to get on it.

Update: Pop-up thunderstorm nearby and approaching. head bang

Updated Update: Skies cleared and I hooked up the last wayward ground wire and traced the bad one - it either has an internal fault or a bad terminal. Finally had to quit with the temp 90° and RH 89%; actually mainly because the neighbor's puppies (Great Pyrenees/Border Collies mix) were being shown.

Sun 7/30: Sprinkled most of yesterday; today rains started early AM, still drizzling... Thumbs Down

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
"It's always something!"

The ground post broke off the IGN relay, so it needs replacement. Because messing with it requires disconnecting the engine battery, and because the river's not back into its banks (I could have to move the coach up the driveway again), action's deferred. For the same reason, I can't remove the steering wheel to refinish the spokes.

At least, while south Florida is being hammered by Emily's rains, it's dry here, and little rain is expected this week.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The upside is I found a weatherproof relay, so maybe I can remove the enclosure and relocate the relay.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
All the parts are in. I got the relay from Waytek, here. By going with a sealed unit, I can eliminate the enclosure. It did take some web surfing to find a quality relay (Cole-Hersee, which boaters will recognize).

billyt53 referred me to a shop that repairs brake actuators, so that's done and back home, in the event the loss of fluid is due to actuator leakage and not just to gravity, the coach having sat for a while. The P/S reservoir is NOT the high point in the system.

The river's back in its banks, and the rain and thunderstorms have become infrequent, so once the temps moderate a bit, I can "giterdone".

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nothing to report, just to gripe - river's back up, so, although it's prepped, the steering wheel can't be painted yet. It's kind of vital should I have to move the Barth, and I'd prefer NOT to deal with wet paint.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
River's way down; got the wheel cleaned and taped, ready to paint as soon as the temp goes down a bit (and the threat of rain diminishes). Thumbs Up

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Wheel's painted! (River's 'way back in the woods). Got two color coats and a clear coat on it. For those wanting to join me watching the paint dry, I can send pix... java

The steering wheel will be permanently reinstalled tomorrow.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Steering wheel's permanently mounted!

It'll probably take longer to restow all my tools than the time spent on repairs so far.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Finally! The river's back into its normal course. Assuming Invest 92L behaves like it should, I can replace the relay Weds.

Since to do so, I have to disconnect the engine battery, and couldn't run the coach up the drive if the river were to rise again. Now this should be a 1 to 2 hour job, but there are always surprises...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
The saga continues Smiler

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The weather finally cooperated (if 96°F is cooperating), and I got the old relay loose. It was mounted in an enclosure mounted on a backing plate mounted on a bracket...

Had enough heat today; will disconnect tomorrow and replace.

Finally, due to dental (5) and medical (5) appointments, weather (6 weeks of rain and thunderstorms), and chasing the eclipse, I'm where I should have been 6-7 weeks ago. Mechanic

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke