Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Allison MD3060 temp indicator
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Allison MD3060 temp indicator
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Those with Allison MD3060 transmission:

Has anyone installed or have a transmission temp indicator? I have a cable behind the instrument cluster that is labeled "trans temp" but have no idea where it comes from or for that matter if it is even hooked up. There is a sensor that has a wire on the transmission that is also labeled trans temp but I think that goes to the TCM and not sure if it is the same signal as what would be at the dash. Don't have a transmission wiring diagram yet.

If you do have a gauge, who is the manufacturer? VDO?

Thanks for any info and I will post results when finished.

Merry Christmas to all!!!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
My '86 454/Turbo400 Regal had an aftermarket trans temp gauge: deeper aftermarket oil pan with a threaded (1/2"?) hole into which was screwed a trans temp sensor with wire to gauge on dash. I believe the sensor/read-out-gauge was a package.
Now: The Spartan MM with 8.3 Cummins and MD3060 comes with a temp gauge. If you have a 3060 it is certain the sensor mount is there, and probably the sensor is there. From memory: sensor is on the driver's side, low, with a 2-wire (l-shaped) spade terminal sticking out of the housing; I don't know if it is in the pan, but I assume so. I don't recall the brand of instrument gauges but they're all the same.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I put one in mine (4L80E), SW. Tranny is ground, sensor wire to gage, +12v there.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should have been more clear and revised my original post.

quote:

Now: The Spartan MM with 8.3 Cummins and MD3060 comes with a temp gauge. If you have a 3060 it is certain the sensor mount is there, and probably the sensor is there. From memory: sensor is on the driver's side, low, with a 2-wire (l-shaped) spade terminal sticking out of the housing; I don't know if it is in the pan, but I assume so. I don't recall the brand of instrument gauges but they're all the same.

I have the MD3060 trans and I am trying to find out from others that have the Allison MD3060 if they have a trans temp gauge and who the manufacturer is and model of gauge. Of course, any further information as to how this gauge is connected to/thru the MD3060 and or the TCM would be appreciated.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/12
Picture of ZIM
posted Hide Post
tho i dont have ur particular trans ..my breakaway has one of those idiot lites for the trans temp on my dash...

ZIM

Posts: 61 | Location: Pennsylvania | Member Since: 06-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
If you do have a gauge, who is the manufacturer? VDO?
I was at the RV today and all my gauges, including the trans temp, are VDO. The trans gauge is 0-400deg F, with 200deg straight up (corresponding Celsius markings below the arc). This is factory, and all the gauges match. When I'm cruising, the trans temp usually matches the engine temp which tells me it is working properly; when I climb the trans will increase towards 200 while the engine usually remains constant at 180-190.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gunner, exactly the info
I needed, Now I just have to find a good place on the dash for it. Might be a good excuse to redo the dash, it is cracking but not badly, been thinking----

Another Barth project!

Happy New Year everyone

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
my trans tops out all the way to the right 400+has to be replaced did that in my driveway . do you know who has one .oil still pink slight small smell but not bad.is the fuse r8 in the block the one for that Gagealso is the speedo sensor the same place?
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Since you're new to the forums, I'll tell you I was in a former life a fuels and lube engineer.

ATF is one of the few lubricants where looking at it can tell you something about the fluid. The dye used will change color with higher temps, but that doesn't tell if the higher temps caused damage. However, "Oil's cheaper than metal" (I heard SOMEWHERE), so if it were brown, change it.

The smell will rarely tell you anything (actually, it rarely tells me anything, and I'm trained in the art).

I can't tell you about the fuse, however, the typical sensor (tranny temp, oil temp, oil pressure) usually has 12VDC applied to the gage, and the sender is grounded; the sender has a temperature/pressure-sensitive variable resistor that displays the temp or pressure reading on the gage. Depending on the gage design, getting no 12VDC will result in a max or "0" reading. Jumping 12VDC to the gage's + post can tell you if it's the gage or the sender.

But in your case, since you just bought the coach, I suggest changing ALL the fluids: Engine oil, power steering, differential, transmission, and engine coolant. And get that gage fixed!

Did I mention that "Oil's cheaper than metal"?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Ed,
I know you have installed a temp gauge on your tranny. Please share the where and how as it is on my planned to do list. Have done one change of Transynd but have no idea of how things are working without a temp gauge.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
72081169MC22C
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1387 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Water temp, oil temp and trans temp are all the same gauge with different labels on the face. If they use a screw-in sender it is the same for all three. Stewart Warner, VDO, and others use a common sender. BUT, it does matter if the gauges have a 70 degree sweep or a 270 degree sweep. The senders are different between the gauges so make sure you match the sender for the sweep range of the gauge. My Cat engine uses 70 degree sweep gauges and it is located top left above the water temp gauge.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dana, I only instlled the guage, I haven't gotten around to install the sender unit. Our early model MD3060 do not have a temp sender built in, later ones do.

I have had a custom hose fitting made so I can install the temp sender in the output line from the trans to the cooler. I will have to find it and take a picture to send to you.

Just got back from Texas, lots of RV troubles this time. write up coming.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
My coach doesn't have a trans temp gauge for the 6 speed allison. My 04 Duramax with the allison has one from the factory. Weird???

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post