Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    whistling breakaway
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

whistling breakaway
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
My 94 breakaway has the annoring habit of whistling between 35-55 mph. Something on the roof whistles loudly, more so when there's a wind. Anyone with a breakaway ever have this problem?

I plan to wrap roof items in a plastic bag and drive until I find the offending equipment, unless someone has a better cure.

Rick

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
The whistling continues! I've removed the tv antenna and wrapped the spotlight, horns and cb aerial in plastic and it still whistles! Anyone got any ideas!

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard_Muise:
The whistling continues! I've removed the tv antenna and wrapped the spotlight, horns and cb aerial in plastic and it still whistles! Anyone got any ideas!
Mirrors? What side does it sound more like it's coming from? Could your awnings be the cause? Try moving the mirrors all the way to the middle. Does it go away with the wipers on?

Do you have other pictures of your breakaway you could post? It might not be the roof. Could the air be channeling up the inside posts around the sides of the front windshield causing a whistle?

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Get a three foot length of garden hose. Have a passenger hold one end in his/her ear and check all possible areas with the other end. Check window openings first.

How about removing one mirror at a time? Applying duct or masking tape to suspected causes could tell you something, too.
Does moving the wipers change anything?

Its a long shot, but pull the radio fuse.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
It sounds like it's coming from the roof. I've had someone drive while I hung my head out of the window and listened. You have given me a couple of good ideas to try. I never considered the wipers or the mirrors. I'll let you know what happens next.

Thanks!

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Not to impugn your hearing, but wind noises are infernally difficult to pinpoint. Especially by the driver.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Another long shot - have you tried shutting off the A/C and the vents?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/08
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of Eric Herrle
posted Hide Post
Mine whistles at the door seals.

Posts: 216 | Location: Kailua Kona, HI & E. Waterboro, ME | Member Since: 06-27-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post