Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Brake caliper source?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Brake caliper source?
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Where can I get new or rebuilt front brake calipers for my '91 Breakaway?
Mike

Posts: 23 | Location: Collinsvile, IL, USA | Member Since: 08-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got mine at NAPA Auto Parts.

Posts: 4 | Location: Starke, FL | Member Since: 02-21-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
O'Reilly's also carries big truck/RV parts.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Short of pulling the caliper off and walking into a parts store with it in my hand(which would immobilize my rig) how can I order a replacment? Does anyone know a part number (1991 Breakaway, Spartan, Cummins).
Mike

Posts: 23 | Location: Collinsvile, IL, USA | Member Since: 08-06-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The caliper number is 242-9002. The number for the pads is ss-7141m. The number for the rr hose is 36737. I can't find the rest of the hose numbers. All of the above are NAPA numbers. The hoses are not the same from left to right. I did not do the ft. myself, as I was on a trip with a stuck caliper. But they all look the same to me.

I have a 1993 on a 20,000 # Spartan.

Posts: 4 | Location: Starke, FL | Member Since: 02-21-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the part numbers, it will simplify things.
Mike

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/12
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
Have a right front caliper hanging up and was looking for the part number is L & R the same number? It looks as though the pucks on my rotors are not metal. Right or wrong on ths?

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
Called Spartan this morning and they looked up the number for the r front caliper and I droped the phone $600+ dollars. Checked with NAPA and after takeing old one with me I found part#242-9000 was the exact match for the R front. They couldn't come up with the new hose so I'll go elseware for it. By the way the caliper was for a Freightliner application

Posts: 140 | Location: Freedom Pa. U.S.A | Member Since: 04-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The pucks may have a Teflon or other coating to minimize squeal.

Breakaways tend to have Eaton front axles.

I'd bet there's a disconnect at Spartan, because I've ordered many things from them and the prices were always competitive. The price disparity could be that the NAPA parts are rebuilds, and Spartan would sell new.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creepy Cawler:
Checked with NAPA and after takeing old one with me I found part#242-9000 was the exact match for the R front. They couldn't come up with the new hose so I'll go elseware for it.
A sticking caliper can be caused by fluid not returning to the master cylinder freely. This happens when the hose becomes swollen internally.

When you depress the brakes, the fluid is under psi causing the hose to expand enough to apply the brakes. When you release the brake pedal, the hose collapses and the trapped fluid is now under psi keeping the caliper slightly applied at the one brake position.

Think of a one way check valve. If this is the case, change out all of your rubber hoses as you're begging for a repeat performance at the other wheel positions.

For future reference, I uploaded both images to make it easier to identify. Core charge on both types is currently $82.50

242-9000 $76.49 - the brake pads are Napa UP7108M

242-9002 $92.42 - the brake pads are Napa ss7141m

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
Bill the pictures were great... I had mine figured out as the 242-9000 and it went together very easy had a little trouble finding a brake hose the right size ,called for a 24' ended up with a 25" but worked out ok.

Picture of Creepy Cawler
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention that both the front and rear axles on mine are Dana.I think 60 front and 80 rear.

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Creepy Cawler:
Bill the pictures were great...
I'm happy to help... A lot cheaper than the $600.00 quoted by Spartan.

Would you please post the part number you used for the brake hose that goes to the 242-9000 caliper. Same info please for the brake pads too. Smiler

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't know what model you have, but if it's a 28, the Dana 80 in the back for sure, and I think for the 30's with the C5.9L 190HP, the same.

Apparently, Breakaways could come with Eaton (which is what mine has), but I doubt a Dana 60, which has a diffy.

When you get a chance, please update your profile to show what you have.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
My '94 breakaway has an Eaton rear 15040S and a Westwood front axle.(I know it is not Eaton but will check again). Apparently when they used the Alison 6 speed and 230 HP Cummins they switched from the Dana 80 to the Eaton.

My front and rear, side to side calipers are identical.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post