Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Rivets?
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rivets?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted
OK, I was cleaning my new favorite toy yesterday and found a rivet missing.
Any suggestions on how to replace it.
As you can tell I'm a rookie.
I'm so pleased with my new Barth. It's so solid.

Hank

1997 Regal 25 ft

Posts: 85 | Location: Athens ga | Member Since: 07-11-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
If you do a search, you will see that this has been discussed a few times before and your question has been answered.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Good place to start.

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...651049061#6651049061

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you do a search, you will see that this has been discussed a few times before and your question has been answered.

If I have time I will do a search.

I prefer to ask the question again. Many times I just want to talk with folks through these posts.

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
quote:

If I have time I will do a search.

I prefer to ask the question again. Many times I just want to talk with folks through these posts.

Tere

Sure, redundancy is good...
For aircraft safety.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There
Thanks for the reply.
I'll look up the topic on the Barth site. It's a great site and I'm getting use to using it.
I look forward to meeting you and Jim.
My wife and I were planning on coming to the Hillsboro GTG but a wedding vows reaffirmation is getting in the way.
Hank

Posts: 85 | Location: Athens ga | Member Since: 07-11-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tere
I searched the Barth site and it looks like you and Jim are the Rivet experts in residence.
The missing rivet is is below the left headlight in the attached photo.
Compared to the cost of the new shocks and front springs it's nothing.
The good news is this Barth should last a life time.
It was a great day when I happened onto it.
Thanks again
Hank

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of MichaelR
posted Hide Post
Use some rivets that will last.......cherry max. Go by your local airport and an A&P will educate you on the benefits of the best rivets on the market.

Posts: 173 | Location: Greeneville TN | Member Since: 05-11-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
The rivets in our Barth's are subject to both tension and shear forces and should be chosen carefully. Barth did not do that when they chose aluminum, open end, steel mandrel rivets. Go online to Hanson Rivet Co and choose the aluminum, closed end, aluminum mandrel rivet and you will avoid the deterioration of the culprit - the steel mandrel! On our coach virtually very broken rivet failed because either the mandrel rusted away or the backing steel framing rusted away from a combination of moisture and galvanic corrosion. Barth had no access to the modern corrosion reduced alloys in steel and aluminum materials available today and thus we face both the rusting of the steel (the tubing along the belt line and in the lower parts of the compartment doors and framing) and the rusting of the mandrels of the pop rivets that were covered up by roof caulking and allowed to trap water. Consumer stores do not normally carry the closed end type rivets, but Hanson has every kind. You can get a decent pop rivet tool from them as well. I prefer to avoid Harbor Freight stuff but it is your choice.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I thought that most of the rivets were 'bucked', a two man process that leaves a closed end rivet.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

posted Hide Post
This is helpful.
The closer I looked I found that there are 2 rivets missing. Both are at the front base where the fiberglass front wraps around and is riveted to the aluminum siding. The challenge is going to be pulling the fiberglass tight to the aluminum.
Thanks for all the knowledge.
Hank

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
That's the tension part! Better to squeeze an aluminum washer between the fiberglass and the siding, then install the rivet and finally caulk the seam. Problem will be over!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree.
Thanks
Hank

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MichaelR:
Use some rivets that will last.......cherry max.

Yup.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
After borrowing and buying a few cheap rivit tools, I finally got a good Arrow with a swivel head from Lowes. Worth every penny. No jams, easy to squeeze, it just works.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post