Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    cummings 5.9 water pump
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

cummings 5.9 water pump
 Login now/Join our community

posted
i have a 28'1988 barth motorhome that has a coolant heating problem have did several things to it but yesterday i discovered the engine water pump must be turning backwards [wrong way]my question , does cummings have a pumps the turn right or left
some information about this problem owned this motorhome about 8 years comply refurbished, had a employee that worked with me, after about a year moved the unit to a garage, the previous owner starter this project cut many wires when he removing the generator, it has been very difficult for me to restore the wiring, the wires for the oil gages temp gages were cut i have restored most of the wiring , about two months ago i got in the mood to finish this project, took the motorhome for a short drive and it ran hot up to 300 degrees according to the temp ,according to my hand held them it wasn'that hot 240 deg at thermast area, installed new manuel temp gage and oil gage, removed thermostat,run in my garage at middle and get above 180 deg, keep thinking han air lock in system, yesterday i finally proved it was complex full of water, front radiator, removed per radiator hose an cranked eng, discovered water pump not pumping water, removed water pump an have decided water pump is turning wrong direction,so my question is ,does cummings have a right and left water pump thanks for your help jeyyy

Posts: 5 | Location: greenville sc | Member Since: 05-29-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
You didn't state which engine you have. But assuming a 5.9L I would guess not. I don't think this engine was ever produced as a left turning engine and since I have never seen a water pump turn the reverse of the engine.

Second if the pump was not working you would be boiling the coolant in the engine big time.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1186 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Actually, the water pump on the 8.3 Cummins turns opposite the crank...

That being said, I don't think there were opposite pumps used on the 5.9 hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry but i didn't know which engine my coach until late yesterday, the original paper work showed a 5.3 but after searching thru the papers i have showed the engine and trainie was replaced in early 1990 with 8.3 engine . i have removed the water pump but don't see anything wrong with it,removed the water pipe so i can flush all, they all seem to be clean, i will purchase new water pump today and reassemble today, then run to see if i held the problem

Posts: 5 | Location: greenville sc | Member Since: 05-29-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
This is interesting, keep us posted on your progress... hmm

An '88 28 foot has the engine and trans replaced in 90? With an 8.3 and a "front radiator?"
That is the only 28 ft with an 8.3 engine I have heard about...

Completely refurbished but wiring is messed up?

The photo shown is a 1995 8.3 Cummins in my Barth. You can see the part number on the pump. I just replaced the water pump.

see here:

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/5233972397

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
Yes it sure is. Cummins didn't make the 5.9 until 1989. I also wonder what model Barth it is? just curious.
kenny

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
excuse me, I need new glasses. 1984 was the first model 6bt.

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Did you try calling your local Cummins store? The guys in Springfield, MA have been very helpful as long as I give them the serial # of the engine.

Good Luck!

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post