Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Propane Tank Capacity
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Propane Tank Capacity
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi all,
We purchased the 1988 Barth Regal that was for sale on here last year and we've looked through all the information that came with the unit, but one thing I can't find is the capacity of the propane tank. We just put 55.664 liters in it and we're wondering how empty the tank was before we started. Any help in this would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 22 | Location: Beiseker, AB | Member Since: 07-03-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the conversion from liters to gallons. I have put just over 30 gallons in my Barth. Do you have a gauge some where on your Barth?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Let's see... for we dimensionally challenged US folks, there are real close to 3.8 liters/US gal. So 55.664L/3.8 = about 14.6 gal.

The usable capacity of a propane tank is 80% of the volume of the tank. Since liquid propane expands when heated if the tank is filled too much the liquid could expand in hot weather and pop the safety valve or worse.

My 97 Monarch has a 37 gallon tank. 80% is very close to 30 gallons, so my working capacity is 30 gallons = 114 Liters

My 86 Regal had a smaller tank. I think it was 25 gallon with 20 gallon working capacity = 76 Liters

If yours is a similar tank it looks like you were about 1/3 full before filling?

Take a close look at your tank. There should be a data plate or stamped numbers to indicate the size of the tank. 80% of that would be your working volume. hmm

Have Barth, will travel (on Friday!) Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. This is great. I didn't realize that we only have 80% of the capacity available, but that makes sense. We have one of those sets of lights above the door that reads from red to green, from left to right, but I had a hard time reading it. It looked like we were up to green, but the fridge wouldn't stay working on propane so I thought the first solution was to make sure we had adequate propane before blaming the fridge, and then I wondered what we would have had before adding the 55 liters. I'm going to look at the tank and see if there is a data plate visible on it.

Posts: 22 | Location: Beiseker, AB | Member Since: 07-03-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Check the vent stack on the frig. For some reason spiders love to live there, bugs, lint, acorns, you never know. A good cleaning is a good routine habit to practice..

Older units often used a thermocouple flame sensor for the safety pilot. If you have one, make sure the flame heats the probe well and the sensor has good connections.

Good luck with your coach!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post