Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    8.3 Cummins Starts then Dies
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

8.3 Cummins Starts then Dies
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted
All,
Took the coach out this weekend and overnighted Abilene (115 miles away) and next AM coach started and then immediately died. Started generator, then started and ran. Ran some errands, 2 or 3 times same starting problems, toggled Pac Brake and then started and ran. Drove home parked and washed, would not start and run period. Cranks fine then instantly dies with or w/o generator running.
I remember the PO told me that this happened to him and showed me the lever on the IP to lift up to start the engine: lifted lever and held it up: son cranked and engine ran fine; released lever and engine died.
I took a coat hanger and manually fastened it up, started and drove to storage unit, no issues except engine will now not shut off with key, I had to remove the coat hanger and allow the lever to fall back down for the engine to quit.
I texted PO and he told me this turned out to be a low battery situation for him (I assume coach batteries). Voltmeter shows good 14volts, house batteries new. Coach batteries came with coach but crank fine.
Any ideas where to start looking? I am thinking my coach batteries may be on the way out but am confused that they crank so well without fail.
Any and all feedback appreciated.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the fuel shutoff solenoid valve is weak (or now, dead). Hopefully, others will have additional suggestions.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Don't have an 8.3 Cummins, but on my 3208, had the same problem. Engine started totally normal. Ran for a few seconds and shut down. Replaced the fuel shutoff solenoid as suggested by Bill NY and mentioned above by Rusty. Cured the problem.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
Rusty and Nick,
Thanks. This was one of my theories as their is a large solenoid that 'toggles' this IP lever I have to secure up to run now, this must be the failing solenoid.

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Stratosurfer, that would also explain why you can't shut down with the key. You are manually keeping the solenoid from closing off the fuel.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
All,
My mechanic replaced the solenoid and I still have the same problem. On the 3 wire connector to the solenoid he only finds power to one of them and says it should have power to two of them, one hot holds it open, one hot holds it closed and the other is ground. He was looking for the relays that control the two ends of the solenoid and I could not find any schematic for this. Anyone know where these might be located. Apparently they are not in the 'relay panel' in the forward compartment port side (driver side).
Thanks

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stratosurfer:
On the 3 wire connector to the solenoid he only finds power to one of them and says it should have power to two of them, one hot holds it open, one hot holds it closed and the other is ground.
Nope... that's not how it's wired.

1 is ground, 1 is hot while cranking, 1 is hot while running. The one that doesn't appear to be doing anything needs to be hot in the crank mode. That 3rd wire to the solenoid is a "pull in coil" while cranking.

If he doesn't know that, he is guessing. Do not allow him to hook up power to the pull in coil (hot while cranking only) of the solenoid all of the time. If you do, you will drive down the road and then burn out the solenoid in a very short period of time.

Check for power while cranking to that third wire. I would suspect that it is wired properly if it starts while cranking, and then dies out.

My best guess... the wiring to the hold coil (hot with key on) is weak. Test that wire for full line voltage with the key on while it is hooked to the solenoid after you tried to start it and it dies out.

There is NO such thing as sending power down the wire to force the solenoid to turn off. Lack of electricity does this.

• Black Wire is ground
  • Red Wire is 12-14 volts with key on - hold coil
  • White Wire is hot while cranking - pull in coil

If all of that is correct and everything tests out properly, then you have a loose shutdown arm on the keyed shaft of the injector pump. This is allowing the arm to slip on the shaft that the shutdown solenoid plunger arm is attached to.

Sorry I didn't answer this sooner... I don't remember seeing it.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
    8908 0128 40RDS-C1
    L-10 Cummins
    Allison MT647 Transmission
    Spartan Chassis
    Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
    9102 3709 33S-12
    Ford 460 MPFI
    C6 Transmission
    Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message
  •  
    Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
    Picture of lenny and judy
    posted Hide Post
    had same problem with my boat.after a 2hr tow looked at check that a wire did not vibrate off ignition switch.mine started only when I had the key in hand as soon as I let go it shut down .Does yours do the same thing?
    lenny

lenny and judy
    32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
    Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Stratosurfer
    posted Hide Post
    Problem solved and fixed. My mechanic left the new fuel shut off solenoid on there and gave it to me at cost, and found the relay that drives the solenoid. He replaced this and my problem is solved. Mech said it was best to leave the new fuel shut off solenoid on there for it may have contributed to the death of the relay...
    Sooo... I'm fixed.
    BTW relay was in engine compartment.
    Did I mention mech found a leaking exhaust manifold: I'll start a new thread on this...