Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Broken Windshield
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Broken Windshield
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/20
Picture of Paul And Jaime
posted
5 min. from home this weekend, I got a broken passenger windshield to big to fix. I have read the thread about safelite, well they and 4 other glass shops tell me they cant get the glass. So can someone point me to a place where I can order the glass? I have a glass installer that said they will put it in if I can get it. DW730 doesn't work on amazon.... Just kidding.

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
windshieldstogo.com used to have them. They may not know Barths, but they should be able to do DW730 from 80's GM Astro tiltcab truck. Good luck!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you. I just got off the phone with them. They quoted me 365.00 for the glass installed. Now the thing is, they think they will be putting it in a 1984 GMC Astro Cab Over so not sure when to tell them its an RV or even if I should but the price seems more than fair. He is calling me back with a time and date.

Posts: 155 | Location: Ky | Member Since: 10-20-2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul And Jaime:
Thank you. I just got off the phone with them. They quoted me 365.00 for the glass installed. Now the thing is, they think they will be putting it in a 1984 GMC Astro Cab Over so not sure when to tell them its an RV or even if I should but the price seems more than fair. He is calling me back with a time and date.

Well on the call back was told that no one has the window in stock so they can't do the install. I am very sad.

Nationwide RV Glass just quoted me 1800.00 Dollars for the replacement. Geesh what a joke.

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Some time back I had a 54 Chrevrolet station wagon. The 53-54 models were the first sedans to have the one piece windshields, likewise for the station wagons. I had a hard time finding a windshield, especially when we discovered that the sta wag winshield is almost the same but 1 inch taller.

I searched in vain for some time. The breakthrough came when a guy on a classic car website pointed out that a good deal of the factory glass in cars back then came from Mexico.

He gave me a contact and I ordered a windshield from a supplier in Mexico. Perfect conditon, cheap.

Older American cars and trucks are still widely used in many countries. Perhaps a supplier still exists there. A very wide search indeed. good luck head bang

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I will be getting both of my windshields replaced this spring before the Minnesnowta GTG at RV Glass Solutions in Coburg Or. I will be talking with them this AM after they open for price and availability. They did mine before and had stock, did a great job!

I sent a RFQ for the DW730 for you also as they will ship anywhere in the USA.

This will be my 6th set of windshields replaced since my 2006 purchase of the Breakaway and 336,000 miles on the clock. Windshields seem like a magnet for stones.

BTW, I carry non deductible glass insurance and the cost of the insurance has been much less than the actual cost of the windshield replacements.

I will post results after 8:30 AM PDT.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank You!

posted Hide Post
I just got off the phone with RV Glass Solutions, they have 40 pairs DW730/DW731 All around the US!

They can be reached at 1(888) 777-6778. Because they can ship anywhere for their stocking location (Coach Glass), price will vary because of shipping, taxes and other variables. They are a small office so I can not recommend who to talk to but you can mention that I (Ed Raether) talked with them this AM as it will be in their email also.

I will be getting mine done in June as they are booked out 'till then.

Let me know if any issue arises I will try to help

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the quote I got from them.

PS windshield: 532.21
Packaging: 95.00
Shipping : 215.00
Total: 842.21

Closest one to me in Elkhart In. 6.5 hours away.

Does this sound like a fair price?

Thank you again MWrench.

posted Hide Post
Yes your quote sounds about right, it is quite a bit more from the last time I got mine done but is right where mine are going to be in June.

Because I am going to the main stocking location I will not have the packaging or shipping cost.

As we all know costs have and are going up, a lot!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Colaw RV Salvage? Or run the numbers for the glass through your local truck salvage yard? The glass seems to have been used on many fire trucks as well.
Matt

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No Sir not yet but I sure will try them and try every other resource I can find. Thank you for the suggestion.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Paul hard to believe that the folks you checked with did not know to or check Coach Glass. It was the only source that came to mind for me.

Way to go Ed! Getting the information needed.

I was happy Bob found the information needed for the Monarch Windshields as they changed for them.

Still makes me scratch my head every time the 71-73 Windshields come up and folks keep rehashing all the avenues and possibilities to find that nonexistent replacement. Wish them luck but …………………….. Deadhorse

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1381 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Rapid City, South Dakota.

Is this the glass, laid back at an angle, on a S.O.B.?

https://rapidcity.craigslist.o...arts/7603262573.html

Matt

Posts: 523 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well I assume they were getting there quotes from coach glass. I had 5 local shops quote me well over 1500 to replace it. When I ask where the glass was being shipped from ( thinking maybe I would go pick it up and save on shipping ) They were reluctant to say.