Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    ACCELERATOR ACCELERATES ON IT'S OWN
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

ACCELERATOR ACCELERATES ON IT'S OWN
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/21
posted
Well, I strike again!! pressure washed the engine compartment on my Regency Cummins diesel and quickly sprayed under coach. Now the engine starts, but the accelerator cable is being pulled by the mechanism under the house battery compartment. Also, I noticed that the air line, which is bradded steel, was very warm, is this normal? Also, no the low air alarm doesn't work, pretty upset with myself. very busy, haven't been able to check back often enough, so forgive me if I don't respond quickly. Blessings

Posts: 34 | Location: Knoxville,Tn | Member Since: 09-07-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I suspect your cruise control is the culprit. Mine has a provision for fast idle setting for warmup. Perhaps yours is activating.

As for the air line they do run hot. Not sure what is excessive but compressed air gets hot. (That’s how the diesel fuel in the cylinder gets lit!)

Good luck with your projects.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/21
posted Hide Post
Thank for advice, I thought it might be fast idle how fast does fast idle go? and for how long? it just seemed excessive to me. Blessings

Posts: 34 | Location: Knoxville,Tn | Member Since: 09-07-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
The reason I did not reply, is I have a Caterpillar. John you have a Cummings. A rare one indeed if it is 14 liters. Caterpillars like to be eased into work. Caterpillar should not be idled up until all the components are warmed. My cruise control will not work to idle up the engine until a few minutes after starting.
Cruise high idle works like this:
Switch on the cruise. Your air brakes should be on. With the transmission in neutral you you can bump the accelerate rocker switch to moderately increase the engine speed. If you put the Barth in gear, the engine speed should drop to idle. You can also turn off the cruise switch to decelerate the engine speed.
You may also have a broken or weak spring on the injection pump. I am not sure if a Cummings has any spring(s) on the injection pump return. Caterpillar does have two springs.
Since you were pressure washing the engine you may have forced some debris into the injection pump area causing the high idle. You may have also washed all the oil off of the pump shaft and caused some rust. Lube the shaft with oil.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post