Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Deleted
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Deleted
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Deleted

Posts: 48 | Location: MI | Member Since: 07-31-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Mine has numerous drains as well. I suspect they are for winterizing, to be sure everything drains out.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I had the original 25+ yr old 6 gal Atwood propane/engine assisted heater in my coach until I replaced it recently. However, I disconnected the engine heater some time ago for several reasons.

#1 the heater lines from engine to water heater were hoses! About 25 ft round trip. I was worried they might leak and I'd never know it till engine overheated. Ran a bypass hose and eliminated the risk. (If they were metal lines I wouldn't have been so worried.)

#2 the engine runs at about 205 F. Most home heaters are set 140-160 to avoid scalding. The RV gas heaters and electric coils run in that range, too, but if you ran hot water while or shortly after the engine was running you get REALLY HOT water. confusion

#3 most of the time we use hot water water was not like #2 ie after the tank had cooled and the engine heat was lost. We just don't seem to need hot water right when we shut down, usually later after dinner.

#4 having just replaced the water heater in my Regal, the engine heater lines are a PITA to get to, even to disconnect as I desired (under the sink). The rest was easy from the outside... drill out rivets, disconnect gas line and wires, pull out...push in new one...

#5 the engine heat option costs more money, not worth it to me.

The old Atwood was still working but so old and crusty I knew it would die soon. It will give you hot water very quickly. The new one works great, fits right in and I used the old outside cover (with matching paint) without modification.

I have plastic plumbing and it scares me. I was thinking of PEX also. Let me know how it works. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/10
posted Hide Post
One is for tank overflow.
One is to drain the tank.
One is to empty cold water lines that run inside the coach.
One is to empty hot water lines that run inside the coach.

1990 32' Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins CTA8.3
Allison 4 speed

Posts: 70 | Location: WI | Member Since: 03-19-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
We have five water drains in total
2 are overflow drains-- one for each water tank
one each for cold and hot drains
one large drain to dump the fresh water tanks

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post