Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Need to replace hydraulic fan and motor
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Need to replace hydraulic fan and motor
 Login now/Join our community

posted
hey all: both of my pumps are leaking bad.... Gillig shows 55-14533-000 for the fan motor. I seen another member stating the new number 53-26580-000... Is this correct? Also, three different danfoss numbers 163k1027, 28, 29... What's the difference?

For the hydraulic pump: 55-14532-000..... Can't find any info on this one. Anybody have any leads?

Chris

Posts: 7 | Location: California | Member Since: 03-03-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
I think Steve78 did the fan motor. I rebuilt my power steering pump. It powers the fan also. Here are some pictures that show numbers.
Do you have a Gillig chassis and a Caterpillar engine?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
kevin, thanks for your reply. My motorhome is a 3208turbo 250 hp. Seen another post about these pumps. Gillig is about 10 minutes from my house, but alot of the parts aren't available. And very pricey ...

Posts: 7 | Location: California | Member Since: 03-03-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my motorhome is a Rockwood. Gillig chassis, and shares alot of components with barth. Iv'e also seen wanderlodge, beaver and country coach with the same setup.... Theres' an old wanderlodge right next to mine at storage. Kinda sucks, it never moves....

chris

posted Hide Post
My Cat is 300 Hp. The pump is a Webster. The numbers in the seal Kit are from Gillig. The seal kit was about $100. The bushings are from GDB. The bushings were $5. each. Check on eBay also. Search Webster Hydraulic Pump.
It depends on what you are able to do. Buy the whole pump or rebuild the pump.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
kevin, didn't you post about a different gilig number? I seen someone's post that showed a pump on ebay for a decent price.

If I could get a new one for a couple hundred, it would be worth it. Thought being spend day rebuilding, and maybe still leaks...

Who's GDB?

chris

posted Hide Post
If you or your mechanic takes the pump out, you will need to a diligent search to find the numbers. I cleaned my pump with degreaser and then used silicon carbide blasting media to find the numbers in the picture.
You might as well replace the water pump, unless you know it was recently replaced. It is only about $100. It is the 17 gallons of ethylene glycol that will cost. I would not use new type antifreeze. Some Cat owners do use the newer antifreeze. If you do not want to replace all the antifreeze, have it tested by sending in for a Wix Antifreeze test kit. The test kit is available at Filter1.com for oil and or antifreeze. You will need an Antifreeze filter also. I think antifreeze test is $25.

posted Hide Post
A Google search for my Webster pump number turned up this site.

If I do recall GDB was the bearing manufacturer. Take a close look at the pictures.

posted Hide Post
kevin, I'd be doing the repairs. Just getting to maintenance iv'e been putting off, too many toys, LOL..
Would be replacing the old hoses too. Today did oil change and fuel separator and air filter...

It's always leaked on left side of engine. The valve covers, and the fan motor and hydraulic pump. But now, it's getting worse, and it's 30yrs old.

I changed the coolant and thermostats a couple years ago, kind of a pain... Along with all the hoses and belts. Hardest part was getting the coolant in the motor, finally I used a pump to suck the 50/50 coolant from a bucket..

pissed the wife off because the coolant ruined her garden hose!! haha

Chris

posted Hide Post
quote:
If I could get a new one for a couple hundred, it would be worth it.
My brain plays funny tricks on me but I think I recall a member paying $600 for a power steering pump. Good luck ad finding a $200 Webster pump that fits.
Someone may recall the member and post it for us.

posted Hide Post
haha! kevin, just re-read the post and you said part number 53-26580-000..... this was in 2016... Hell, I forget what I had for breakfast. LOL

Got so many things to do on this thing, just ordered an new air dryer. I changed the governor, and still takes forever to build pressure.

Also looking for a rebuilt air compressor. NAPA doesn't have one, and BENDIX wants almost 700 bux for a reman.. Haldex shows one for around 300, gonna call them Monday...

Have this week off on vacation, so gonna catch up on the RV

Chris

Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Gillig stated to me that they no longer carried the fan motor repair parts but referred me to a company in NC.
They had what I needed.
I'll do some digging to see if I can find the name.
Or Gillig should still have that info.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
maybe in this thread from 2016...?
Gillig chassis parts

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
The fan motor is a precision device that should not be "fixed" without all the necessary equipment to measure, calibrate and bench test. It operates as a variable speed pump to set fan speed to temperature and engine loads. After talking to the folks in Indianapolis who are a warranty station for Danfoss, Gillig found a new one for less money but it was still almost $700. Bottom line: it was worth doing right! As for coolant that is another thing that must be done right. Use CAT brand coolant and you will not have metal corrosion of the aluminum parts of the engine; use anything else and you will form deposits and shorten the life of the heads and internal small coolant passages. Some things just are what they are. Do it right or do it over. The engine is over $12,000. Your choice.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post